Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Steering wheel shimmy when touching the brake pedal going downhill.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 PM

Steering wheel shimmy when touching the brake pedal going downhill.

hi all.

I did a search, and found a few threads on this, but not with my exact symptoms.

I know that warped rotors can cause wheel shimmy while braking, but in most cases, that shimmy would happen almost all the time...
In my case, it only seems to do it when just touching the brake pedal to reduce speed a bit, while coasting down a hill. Doesn't do it on the highway, during normal braking in traffic, or at any other time.

I was thinking that maybe going downhill, piles more weight onto the front wheels and makes a small defect somewhere worse...
or perhaps the problem gets worse as the brakes heat up...

Have any of you had a similar problem? Was it just the rotors, or was there another issue that contributed to the problem.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by A Crazy Canuck
hi all.

I did a search, and found a few threads on this, but not with my exact symptoms.

I know that warped rotors can cause wheel shimmy while braking, but in most cases, that shimmy would happen almost all the time...
In my case, it only seems to do it when just touching the brake pedal to reduce speed a bit, while coasting down a hill. Doesn't do it on the highway, during normal braking in traffic, or at any other time.

I was thinking that maybe going downhill, piles more weight onto the front wheels and makes a small defect somewhere worse...
or perhaps the problem gets worse as the brakes heat up...

Have any of you had a similar problem? Was it just the rotors, or was there another issue that contributed to the problem.

Thanks for your help.
If it isn't happening until you are braking, then I think it has to be related to those components, meaning its not an alignment, or tire issue.

While I can't be sure without driving your car, I would say its still the rotors...I have had the same symptoms with all my delta platform cars. It seems like GM went with the lowest bidder on the rotors, because all 3 cars I have had(1 cobalt, 2 HHR's), I have bought the cheapest rotors I could find, and they were more durable than the factory rotors...

I would say if they are annoying enough (like they were for me), do the pad/rotor change, and do it right. Make sure the piston boot is not punctured, caliper pins and sliders are lubed, and adjust the rear drums(if you have them) so you aren't overheating the fronts.

I assume I could be telling you stuff you already know. I have had better luck after putting the work in myself.

hope it helps
Old 02-11-2013, 10:45 PM

...sure does. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

rear brakes adjusted properly ?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:46 AM

I am going to swap off the snows and put the all seasons/chrome wheels back on next clear day.....will have to check the back brakes. However, the emergency brake works great....and isn't that a sign that the rears are adjusted okay?
As for the front brakes....they were done recently by the dealer before I bought the car....
I guess they could have used crappy pads....
Will have to wait till a break in the weather coincides with me having some time....
...are rare thing in this wettest of all towns....lol
Old 02-12-2013, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by A Crazy Canuck
However, the emergency brake works great....and isn't that a sign that the rears are adjusted okay?
Kinda depends on how many clicks it takes to hold the car..

I have my rears adjusted so the emergency brake only needs about 3 (light pull) clicks to hold my ride on a slope.