Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Strangeness with Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 10:20 PM

Question Strangeness with Lights

Hi from Texas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2006 w/ 86k miles on it and have had no repair work done recently. In the last 10 days I've had 3 problems with lights. 1st - driver side rear blinker light was not working. Replaced the bulb and it worked but the bulb did not look bad. Had a hard time getting it back into the receptacle so taped it in place and went by Kwick Kar. They had trouble too but got it in and the guy said the plastic thing the bulb goes into was melted a little where the grooves are. I'm pretty sure this is the same bulb I had to replace a year or so ago. 2nd - dome light came on and would not go off. Took off the cover and the rear and passenger bulbs were working but the drivers side was off. Put in a new bulb and and that light did not come on and the passenger side would still not go off. Finally took both out and left the rear in. It now works as it should when you open the door etc. 3rd - neighbor told me headlight was out. Was going to get another bulb but in the parking garage at work (parked facing the wall) I noticed that both lights come on when I click the key fob to open the door, but when I turn the car on the passenger side headlight doesn't work. Very frustrating!!!!!! May be unrelated but have noticed over the last 3-4 wks that the radio speaker on the passenger side is buzzing and the volume seems to fluctuate for no reason. This is not the automatic adjustment of volume that happens at different speeds. Driving 65 listening to radio, all of a sudden volume goes down and can't hear it. Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 09-13-2013, 10:47 PM

The headlight problem is a bad bulb, low beam on the side that was off probably. The others I got nothing except the possibility that the fuse box halves have become loose, or a bad ground somewhere. I know that's not much help, but somebody needs to have hands on to diagnose this kind of thing.

There is a possibility that this electrical thing is related to a "butyl patch" failure which is a peculiarity of the 2006 model year. Use the search box for lots of info about that.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:13 PM
Deceased

to the forum!

Well you've got a few things going on, but nothing to loose sleep over.

On the driver's side taillght bulb, I bet you do a bunch of driving in stop and go traffic. When you're sitting with your foot on the brakes, the same bright filaments used for the turn signals are illuminated and they generate a bunch of heat. The partially melted socket and bulb base can occur, had it happen to me, but replacement sockets are available and easy to install.

The dome lights acting goofy may be a symptom of a sticking or corroded door switch, all four doors have a switch like this....

Open your doors and work each switch by hand, if they're sticking a bit that'll free them up, if they're corroded inside that'll break up the corrosion and your dome lights should behave again.

Don hit the nail on the head concerning your headlamps, you've got a burned out filament on the afffected side, but save yourself time and money in advance and replace both bulbs at the same time. If one goes, its opposite almost always fails shortly thereafter.

You may have a bad speaker, or a loose connection on the rear of the radio head unit which may explain that problem.

Plus 2006 models do have a known and somewhat predictable water leak issue, as Don pointed out, do a search for "butyl patch".....and you'll find good info on diagnosing and fixing that problem too.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome SummerGirl-

Using paragraphs in long posts is very helpful to read for old farts like me..
Old 09-14-2013, 04:29 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to the site.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Welcome SummerGirl-

Using paragraphs in long posts is very helpful to read for old farts like me..
Me too!