Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Stupid suspension noise!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:46 PM

Monday i will take someone with me.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:15 PM

The verdict is in!!!!

Well i just got off the phone with my Dealer, the manager says hes about 99% sure that my tires are "Chopped" or out of round. he said you can run your hand cross the tire and fell that they are chopped. I just wonder if Tire discounters screwed something up when they remounted my tires onto my new wheels. What causes a tire to be out of round? Is it fixable? By the way my dealer is being really cool about it they said i can bring my SS/SC wheels in and they will mount them and see if it does it with those wheels. i hope this is what the problem is for real. it seems the noise when i hit small bumps when my car is cold has went away since they replaced the I shaft.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Founding Member

Chad, out-of-round tires are normally a defect in the tire. I'm sure tireman can tell you more, but I have always been told it is a defect in the manufacturing process. Running a hand along a tire will not tell you they are out-of-round. Trying to get a true balance will. The only fix is to replace the tire.

Cupped or Chopped tires are not the same thing. If they are cupped you will be able to feel this on the inner and or outer tire tread. If you look at them it appears that each section of tread is either higher or lower then the next section as you go around the circumference of the tire. Cupped tires make the old "card in the wheel spokes on a bicycle" noise or can make a low pitched moan noise. This real common on Tahoes and Suburbans. Lack of tire rotation or week shocks are a couple of causes. Lowering a vehicle is the number one cause. Just kidding on that one.

At least the shaft fixed some of your problem. I thought my "diagnosing a noise over the internet skills" were fading.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:18 PM

Well this weekend im gonna put my SS/SC wheels on and see if it still does it
Old 05-19-2008, 07:30 PM

My fiance had the thumping noise coming from the front end when hitting bumps in the road (especially noticeable in extreme cold weather where it made the noise constantly on every slight bump in the road) on her HHR 2LT.

The shop determined it was a TSB related to the bushings on the front stabilizer bar. They changed the bushings on the front stabilizer bar under warranty. Changed the car completely. No more rattles and bumps from the front end. This also fixed the creaking in the front end.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:09 PM

Well tonight I did some tests on the way home from work. The noise isn't there when im going under 35, anything over 35 it makes the noise and I don't have to corner real hard. So if im going 50 mph and I kinda swerve like back in fourth into lanes (like ricers or nascar guys do) and it does it, it does it worst when I corner real hard. I did circles in my work parking lot at like 15mph and I cornered real hard and it didn't do it, so its only doing it when im above 35 mph. Now I did have my tires rotated when I got my new wheels(I used the same tires that were on my konigs) I doubt that they did anything wrong.My wheels are made buy kumho, I don't know if its a decent tire or not. Its weired cuz it does kinda feel like the tires, the faster I'm going the faster the thump sound is. Well I will see what happens this weekend when I change my wheels maybe on Wednesday . Let me know what you think.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:39 PM

Another Update!!!

Well i removed my passenger side wheel (the same one that i locked up while braking real hard) and put a SS/SC wheel on,took it for a drive and the noise wasn't there. So i guess my tire is screwed, visually I can't see nothing wrong with the tire. I guess i need to check warranty on the tire and see if they will replace it. So there we go I'm so glad I found the problem but I'm also pissed that its my tire, which only has about 13,000 miles on it.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Founding Member

Chad, glad you found the noise. Sorry that it's going to be a hassle to remedy the tire problem though. Surely they will prorate it, I mean it's not like anyone you know is going to mention that hard lock up.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Surely they will prorate it, I mean it's not like anyone you know is going to mention that hard lock up.
Or racing/keeping up with the cobalts to cbus meet
Old 05-21-2008, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Chad, glad you found the noise. Sorry that it's going to be a hassle to remedy the tire problem though. Surely they will prorate it, I mean it's not like anyone you know is going to mention that hard lock up.
Even though i locked up my brakes it shouldn't have messed up the tire right? i mean surely they test these tires, its inevitable that it will happen to someone you know?

Quick Reply: Stupid suspension noise!!!!