Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Sunroof issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 04:17 PM

Sunroof issues

My sunroof has a pretty significant leak. I've read through the board and have seen that I need to check the drain holes for clogging. My question is about the sunroof operation. When I close it all the way, it pops up slightly in the rear to where it is not flush with the roof. Is this normal? I also have read the instructions in the manual and it appears that I am doing everything correct.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:26 PM

Welcome to the site Boss. It is normal for it not to be flush in the rear. I haven't had any issues with leaking, so I may not be the best source.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! Does it sit up very high above the roof ?
Old 08-11-2015, 10:33 PM

Mine is level with the roof panel.

The seal around the sun roof glass don't do much to keep water out that's what the drains are for.

I believe the glass has adjustable stops to make the glass fairly level to the roof panel when closed.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:29 AM

My 08 is pretty flush with the roof. I just recently had it all apart. If it wasn't exactly flush your track should still divert the water from your sunroof through the 4 drains. Pretty good design for preventing leaks. My only complaint is everything is plastic.

There's a simple re-learn procedure you can do to the motor so you're sure it's operating the way it should. Sounds like you have a drain that's backing up, but you can do the RE learn anytime and it's quite easy.

By performing the initialization/teach procedure, the sunroof motor/actuator records the open vent soft stop position. The motor/actuator will then understand the other positions, closed and full open soft stop, and allow express and obstacle detection functions.

Ensure that all electrical harness connectors are connected.

1:Turn the ignition to ON.

2:Press and hold the sunroof switch to the vent open position until the sunroof window stops, then release the switch.

3:Press and hold the sunroof switch in the vent open position. The window should stall at the hard stop, then lower slightly to the soft stop position. Continue holding the switch for at least 5 seconds, then release the switch.

4:If the window did stall at the vent open hard stop and lower slightly, go to step 5
If the window did not stall at the vent open hard stop and lower slightly, repeat step 3.

Important: The initialization/teach procedure is not complete if the battery and/or ignition power has been interrupted during the process.
The Initialization/Teach Process must be restarted if the procedure is not carried out completely.

5:Verify the operation of the sunroof in all positions.

Like I said, sounds like you've just got a clog. But you never know!
Old 08-16-2015, 02:13 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll try the initialization procedure and see if it helps. That is after I clean out the drain holes.