Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Surges around the 40mph mark

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 09:54 PM

Surges around the 40mph mark

I'm not sure if this is the solenoid problem I have read about or not. I'm a little confused .. it kinda surges around 40-45 and you can watch the rpms going up and down between 1500 and 2000, and if you back off the throttle just a tad it will kinda lung into overdrive smoothly but firm. It's pretty annoying when you are stuck in that situation or speed zone that keeps you from being able to climb out of that range. It shifts fine if you are able to just take off and go thru the gears at a normal pace without hovering at that low speed, but that's pretty much inevitable. The car doesn't idle rough or act funny in any other way, it runs great and is the 2.4 auto 2LT 2008, no codes showing and have not checked..figured if it didn't show it would not have any?? Should I do the solenoids?
Old 01-26-2014, 10:08 PM
Deceased

How many miles do you have on it, and by no codes showing do you mean that you haven't had a CEL or error message on the DIC?

Does it seem to be hunting between 3rd and 4th gears and slamming the shifts.

Or is it more of an rpm fluctuation around 42-45mph, because that's where the lockup torque converter engages under light throttle openings.

Before throwing parts at it, you really should have the codes pulled, there may be trouble codes stored which haven't presented themselves yet with a CEL or "Service Esc" message.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:41 PM

It's got 96000 and yes it surges between speeds of what you mentioned..and rpm fluctuation, but how do you get around it, drives me crazy cause it makes me feel like my tranny is going to mess up. My sons 07 2.2 does not do it, has about 5000 more miles. No codes or lights have come on as far as I know, I just purchased it. Thanks
Old 01-27-2014, 01:22 AM
Deceased

Step #1 would be to have it checked for any stored codes, most auto parts stores will do it for free, and if there are any codes stored, post them up here. Depending on what codes if any are stored, then we can get into what might need replacing on the engine's "top end".

Step #2 would be having the transmission serviced, its due at 100,000 miles per the GM maintenance schedule, so doing it now wouldn't be wasting money.

There are two ways that the 4T-45E transmission can be serviced.

The preferred method is to drain the old fliud, drop the pan, and install a new filter and pan gasket before filling the unit with fresh fluid, that's the method GM prefers.

But they do not specifically forbid the use of "Transmission Flushing Machines", which exchange the old fluid for new while leaving the original filter in place.

You may find that a simple transmission service eliminates the problem.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:58 AM
Platinum Member

It doesn't sound like the solenoid issue to me - typically the shifts will all be very abrupt, almost brutal. And that is with both up and down shifts, and even when taking it out of Park, and selecting Reverse, and then into Drive.

With the solenoids the condition can come and go - and can often be cleared by shutting everything off for a minute or two and restarting. Also the CEL may not always light up.

If the condition with the shifting is full time, and the CEL is not on, I would not suspect the solenoids that much.

Doing the trans fluid change as 843de suggested would be a good idea like he says due to the mileage.

The solenoids are also sensitive to getting clogged due to old/dirty oil, and can get contaminated. You might want to change the oil/filter if it has a few miles on it since the last change.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:01 AM
Administrator

my '07 2.2 does not have the solenoids or sensors for the cam positioning, I had this similar issue and serviced the trans, changed the filter fresh fluid, and the issue has not returned. But please do have the codes checked! and search them here !!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:13 AM
Premium Member

this sounds like OD kicking in..mine does the same thing around that speed
Old 01-27-2014, 12:05 PM

Thanks guys and yes it is like the overdrive is trying to kick in and just in between stages at that rpm. I may have the tranny fluids done soon especially if no codes are present.

Had the oil changed also. Thanks again!
Old 01-27-2014, 05:07 PM

Anyone know about what they charge for a tranny fluid and filter change at a dealership?
Old 01-27-2014, 08:11 PM

They charge what they charge, it varies by shop.

I would go to a trans shop and ask for a free test drive. I am thinking trans problem deeper than fluid.

Quick Reply: Surges around the 40mph mark