Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Suspension Problems/noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
Hey Teech, I've had similar noises in mine. My noise shows up only when the weather gets very cold. We had a week long cold snap where it was around the zero F mark and I would hear noises going over bumps and going into and out of my driveway. I think it had something to do with the shock fluid not being able to maintain proper dynamic properties due to the cold weather.

I've never really experienced any noises on warm days and I've had my HHR on a number of logging roads and other pretty rough conditions.
THat's good to hear. Its been considerably warmer ove rthe last few days and I haven't heard it. Even that day it was only when the car hadn't been warmed up first. I'll keep listening though.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:05 PM

I've been having the same problem with my front end. When I go over a speed bump or a small dip in the road I can hear and feel a CLUNK from the front end of the car.

I've got a laundry list of things that need to be fixed, so I'll just add this to it and take my car in when I get some time off after X-mas.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:31 PM

I have the same problem. bed spring noise when cold. when the car warms up it goes away.....I left the car for 2 weeks while out of town. came back to Detroit during extremely low temps. it was noisy for awhile....then it goes away.. i didnt notice it today. temps in the low 20s.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:43 PM

I had that noise on mine before they told me that my Front Struts were both bad, Leakage was the cause. They replaced them under warranty along with my Brakes they were shot also for the 3rd time. and Rotors. Good Luck Teech
Old 02-24-2007, 02:08 PM

I have this too. First time the temp went into the teens. Yes it gets that cold in North Georgia. Just leaving the driveway and for maybe a mile or two. Then it is fine. Its been warmer for about 10 days and it is as quiet as a mouse. I resist dealer visits as much as possible too. Even with appointments you can loose the car for a couple of days over minor things.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:10 PM

i get a cracking(best i can explain) some morning coming the the rear of the car when making turns i was guessing it was the cold
Old 02-24-2007, 03:54 PM

I have actually heard this noise on a couple of 80's era frontdrivers in the cold also. I am not familiar with the spring bed noise. could someone enlighten me. I kind of get the impression the fluid is so viscous that something else has to give until it cycles up ans down a few times. I do find that I don't hear the noise if I turn on the radio really loud before shifting out of Park.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:55 PM

This is my second winter with my HHR. Last year, no noise. This year, a loud rubbing sound from the back when it is cold and I drive over a dip or make a turn. Goes away after about 10 minutes. Sounds like oversized tires rubbing against the fender, but of course that is not the case.

And like Mew said, adjusting the volume on the radio seems to correct the problem.

Within the past week, I am getting a rotational grinding sound from the back-like when the rotors were warped (but the rear are drums).
Old 03-15-2007, 07:03 AM

I hate to jump on the bandwagon but I too have had the same problem. It appears to happen only when it is cold out lower teens. To me it sounds like the tire scraping against the inside of the front fender when there is a dip in the road or going over a speed bump. I also noticed a grinding sound coming from the front left wheel when making a right hand turns.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:25 AM

We get the scraping/crunching sound as well on real cold days. It's annoying, but seemingly a bit common here among us. Still, I'll have Chevy look at the suspension when it goes in for it next its free oil change.

Quick Reply: Suspension Problems/noise?