Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Suspension? Weird feeling in front end.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 09:05 AM

Suspension? Weird feeling in front end.

Got my HHR in December and have had a few annoyances with it. Front brakes are squealy as anything. In 2 months I've already taken them completely apart twice (rotors and pads look good and pretty new) and cleaned them off, scuffed the rotor and pads... 2 or 3 days later squeal city.

I just bought a set of SS front brakes/ rotors/ pads off here and will install those soon, hopefully that will take care of that problem and the strange brake feel, especially under heavy braking.

This is my main question/ problem: It's kind of hard to describe. At about 45 mph up to like 65 mph (it's not a hard cut-off where you feel it at 64 but not at 65) - the front end just feels weird. Wobbly kinda. The steering wheel doesn't move, but you can feel it.

Initially I thought the wheels were out of balance.... but supposedly they were checked when the dealer installed the new tires and checked again after I complained.

I took it to a place I've had alignments done before - they were super busy that day, but took it for a quick ride and said it wasn't doing anything that would suggest it was out of alignment.

I think this might be related, but am not sure. Sometimes when going over a speed bump it's kind creaky in the front end, I think passenger. I looked at the struts when I was doing brakes and nothing was obvious - no leaks etc. But I haven't done a ton of suspension work before, and wasn't sure exactly what to look for.

I'm thinking a strut (maybe both) are bad or something is loose... Maybe I just need to get it looked at, just hard to find time to do that. I have a warranty that will cover big stuff...

Any suggestions? Things to look for/ check? I just wanted to put this out there, see if anyone had any ideas ...

Last edited by mikelikestobike; 02-19-2014 at 05:08 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:31 PM

Noise is commonly the sway bar bushings, and the wobbly feeling you describe could be the control arm bushings.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

x2 - both are fairly easy to replace - check the How-To section for details on both items.

How many miles on it?

Sway bar bushings can be checked by reaching in and using a big screwdriver/lever prying between the frame and the bar to see how much slop there is - there should be no free-play.

and with the lower control arms (you will see them referred to here often as LCA), it is usually the rear bushing that goes - also can be checked visually for deterioration, and with a screw driver to check the amount of slop.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
x2 - both are fairly easy to replace - check the How-To section for details on both items.

How many miles on it?

Sway bar bushings can be checked by reaching in and using a big screwdriver/lever prying between the frame and the bar to see how much slop there is - there should be no free-play.

and with the lower control arms (you will see them referred to here often as LCA), it is usually the rear bushing that goes - also can be checked visually for deterioration, and with a screw driver to check the amount of slop.
Just hit 40K Miles.

I'm planning on replacing the brakes this coming weekend, and will look and dig around a little more while I'm there...

Thanks for the suggestions !
Old 02-18-2014, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Just for fun before you replace the front brakes, adjust your rear brakes if you have drum brakes, then go for a test spin just to make sure it's not the front brakes doing all the work causing the squeal and wobbly feel, we like to call it "judder"!!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:10 PM

Adjust the rear drum brakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And All Of The Above.
Brake "squeaks" usually come from improper installation of anti-rattle backing on the pads.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

ditto on the importance of making sure the rear brakes are adjusted properly (many recommend 3-4 clicks free on the parking brake lever, and it seems to work for me)
Old 02-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Deceased

Times whatever to all the comments above, excellent advice from all the posters.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by mikelikestobike
Got my HHR in December and have had a few annoyances with it. Front brakes are squealy as anything. In 2 months I've already taken them completely apart twice (rotors and pads look good and pretty new) and cleaned them off, scuffed the rotor and pads... 2 or 3 days later squeal city.

I just bought a set of SS front brakes/ rotors/ pads off here and will install those soon, hopefully that will take care of that problem and the strange brake feel, especially under heavy braking.

This is my main question/ problem: It's kind of hard to describe. At about 45 mph up to like 65 mph (it's not a hard cut-off where you feel it at 64 but not at 65) - the front end just feels weird. Wobbly kinda. The steering wheel doesn't move, but you can feel it.

Initially I thought the wheels were out of balance.... but supposedly they were checked when the dealer installed the new tires and checked again after I complained.

I took it to a place I've had alignments done before - they were super busy that day, but took it for a quick ride and said it wasn't doing anything that would suggest it was out of alignment.

I think this might be related, but am not sure. Sometimes when going over a speed bump it's kind creaky in the front end, I think passenger. I looked at the struts when I was doing brakes and nothing was obvious - no leaks etc. But I haven't done a ton of suspension work before, and wasn't sure exactly what to look for.

I'm thinking a strut (maybe both) are bad or something is loose... Maybe I just need to get it looked at, just hard to find time to do that. I have a warranty that will cover big stuff...

Any suggestions? Things to look for/ check? I just wanted to put this out there, see if anyone had any ideas ...
Hi mikelikestobike,

Sorry to hear that you have had experienced these vehicle concerns over the past couple months of ownership. It sounds like you are going to complete the work yourself, but remember we are here if you ever would like to get your local dealership involved.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 02-19-2014, 04:24 PM

The original front pads should get you upwards of 60,000 miles, if the rears are adjusted properly.

Quick Reply: Suspension? Weird feeling in front end.