Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Temp guage flat and Coolant Temp "---"

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by donnagal
hey thanks for the reply. but i think i may need more anti-freeze then. mine is running about 200. should i check the level again. I have no leaks of any kind, checked that more than a dozen so far..lol just to be sure. hey have a great day. and this site is the bomb for a female do it yourselfer...
Quick comments:

The precise level in expansion tank is irrelevant as long as engine is full and there are no air bubbles.

Adding more coolant is fine, as in 50/50 solution. Too rich a mixture will cause engine to run hot, 100% ethylene glycol could lead to catastrophic overheating.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by blacky
Quick comments:

The precise level in expansion tank is irrelevant as long as engine is full and there are no air bubbles.

Adding more coolant is fine, as in 50/50 solution. Too rich a mixture will cause engine to run hot, 100% ethylene glycol could lead to catastrophic overheating.

blacky......you did it again. The person you are addressing hasn't participated in this forum in 4 years.

If you are not aware....there is a posting date and time above the posters name. If you wish to see the last time they were logged into this forum....click on their name. It will pop up their personal info page. Generally just below their forum name on that page is the last time logged in
Old 10-10-2013, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

X2 -
Old 10-10-2013, 03:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snoopy
blacky......you did it again. The person you are addressing hasn't participated in this forum in 4 years.

If you are not aware....there is a posting date and time above the posters name. If you wish to see the last time they were logged into this forum....click on their name. It will pop up their personal info page. Generally just below their forum name on that page is the last time logged in
I see that. But the latest posts on this thread were today. Are you saying that posts on a given thread should only be relative to the immediately preceding posts?
Old 10-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

No, I am not saying that.

blacky, you referenced Donnagal in your post. That would generally indicate you are apparently answering him/her. The info you posted is probably valid/worthy, but you could have just posted it without a reference to a post from way back from a non participating former (apparent) member. But maybe I'm wrong.

If I have "ruffled your feathers", then I apologize......it was not meant to be that way. Because you have answered by-gone members many times before, I was just trying to provide some assistance.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:54 AM

I replaced the thermostat in mine after experiancing the same "Flat Line" issue. The hardest part was getting the OEM hose clamps off. The thermostat was definately bad, the rubber seal and seat were toast. After warming it up the guage and digital display started reading again. What amazed me was the check engine light did not come on for quite some time. The symptoms showed up while I was out of town on a Saturday night. I nursed the car home, about 70 miles, without the check engine light coming on. The next morning I took it to the stor and then the check engine light came on. Checking the code then pointed to the thermostat. Good call guys.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snoopy
No, I am not saying that.

blacky, you referenced Donnagal in your post. That would generally indicate you are apparently answering him/her. The info you posted is probably valid/worthy, but you could have just posted it without a reference to a post from way back from a non participating former (apparent) member. But maybe I'm wrong.

If I have "ruffled your feathers", then I apologize......it was not meant to be that way. Because you have answered by-gone members many times before, I was just trying to provide some assistance.

I'll follow suggested decorum.

That said, this post itself is an example of why I sometimes quote an old post. This thread is about engine temperature issues. But we have now 2 or 3 posts about decorum. Suppose we go back to temperature issues for 100 posts. Then somebody notices these few posts about decorum, and has a suggestion - what are they going to do, post an off-topic suggestion that has no relation to last 100 comments, or just quote the much older comment?

As we all know, a thread on thermostats can evolve in many ways. There might be a single post on the concentration of anti-freeze for lowest freezing point. Maybe the poster got it wrong - so long after that wrong post a reply is made, but to be in context, the old post is quoted.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:17 PM

Stupid Thermostat!

Hi All! First post here. I really wish I had been reading this forum a while back. I too suffered the flat line temp gauge and "---" digital readout. I had my thermostat and sending unit replaced and all seemed well. Six months later I was getting the same readings, and same "PO128" code. So my mechanic assumed it was a faulty sending unit and replaced that again. He also noticed that my wiring harness seemed stretched too tight and when he lessened the slack the code went away, so we replaced that as well. Not even a day later I was getting the flat line again. He did some more tests and said it must be the ECM because everything up to the ECM tested fine. SO, I had the ECM replaced, as well as another sending unit. And, guess what, it still did it! I came to this forum, found this thread and wanted to slam my head against the wall.
I bought a thermostat, pulled the old one and sure enough it had the ruptured seal that was causing it to stick partially open. So far so good. Just wish I wasn't out the several hundred that I am.
Lesson learned? $20 is always better than $600!
Old 06-08-2014, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Thumbert
I replaced the thermostat in mine after experiancing the same "Flat Line" issue. The hardest part was getting the OEM hose clamps off. The thermostat was definately bad, the rubber seal and seat were toast. After warming it up the guage and digital display started reading again. What amazed me was the check engine light did not come on for quite some time. The symptoms showed up while I was out of town on a Saturday night. I nursed the car home, about 70 miles, without the check engine light coming on. The next morning I took it to the stor and then the check engine light came on. Checking the code then pointed to the thermostat. Good call guys.
Thumbert,
after dealing with the same issue I learned that the ECM needs to receive the code twice before it will throw the light. Mine was doing the exact same thing.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:33 AM
Technical Moderator

Too bad not all mechanics can actually read what a code MEANS.

I hope he at least apologized, if not refunded. That is real bad mechanicing, to the point of theft.

Last edited by donbrew; 06-09-2014 at 02:09 PM.