Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Temperature Display Hung

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 05:14 PM

Temperature Display Hung

I have a 2009 HHR LS (67,000 miles). For the past few days, I have been having trouble with the dashboard temperature reading hanging at 54 degrees whether the actual outside temperature is higher or lower. I have tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery. This worked for a short time then the display returned to 54 degrees.

Has this been an issue for anyone else. I am more concerend that there may be a larger electronic problem of which this is just a symptom.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Deceased

to the forum maddawg!

The external temperature display on the DIC can get "stuck" at times when the vehicle hasn't been driven long enough for it to update. It can take a good twenty minutes of drive time for the reading to update to a more accurate temperature. I park in a parking garage in Charlotte, when I leave at the end of the workday my display will be stuck at the temperature in the garage for a good fifteen minutes before it catches up to the "real world".

How long is your average drive, you may try taking a twenty minute run to someplace and seeing if it updates. If it doesn't then it would be time to suspect the sensor is failing.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:24 PM

Thanks

Yes, I have had many drives that exceed 20 minutes. Today it seems to be working. Like I said disconnecting the battery seemed to reset it and get it to update Real-Time.

I am becoming less and less impressed with this Government Motors vehicle. It seems that I have had many $100-$200 problems that are "Dealer Only" fixes. These are not repairs just the "Oh, that needs to be reprogrammed" fixes.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Deceased

Yes the HHR is packed with modules that can give you fits at times, but its the price of driving these days. There are times I miss the "good old days" when you could set the points on a car with a dime and a pack of paper matches, but that only lasts until I hit the remote start on a hundred degree day(knowing that the A/C will have the interior cold enough to freeze a side of beef when I get there)and think..."well ain't technology grand".

As to why the temp display can update almost immediately, and then the next day it'll take 15-20 minutes, its just one of those endearing HHR quirks. If it ever gets permanently hung at a reading, or goes - -, then its shorted to ground and the sensor needs replacing.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:27 PM

For the OAT to register a higher temperature, you must drive for a minimum of 18 minutes, over the speed of 18 MPH. If you stop prior to 18 minutes, you reset the time. This is not true if the outside temps are lower. They will almost immediately register lower temps. I have other vehicles with OAT's that do not behave this way, and have always felt this was a less than clever way for GM to engineer this, but thats the way it is.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Laco
For the OAT to register a higher temperature, you must drive for a minimum of 18 minutes, over the speed of 18 MPH. If you stop prior to 18 minutes, you reset the time. This is not true if the outside temps are lower. They will almost immediately register lower temps. I have other vehicles with OAT's that do not behave this way, and have always felt this was a less than clever way for GM to engineer this, but thats the way it is.
Where did you get this info from, chapter 18? Mine does not need anymore than a minute or two to adjust once I leave the garage or someplace hotter/colder. Stopping bears no differance either.....
Old 09-22-2011, 02:49 PM

I think that's if it's 'stuck'. If it's not 'stuck', there's no problem.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Where did you get this info from, chapter 18? Mine does not need anymore than a minute or two to adjust once I leave the garage or someplace hotter/colder. Stopping bears no differance either.....
Info came from the dealer, and its not just HHR's that work that way, its many of the GM line. Don't know about the new ones, (2010's and 2011's) but if you are parked in a garage that is 65 degrees, and you start driving in 95 degree heat, thats they way all of them I know of work. There are many threads on this board describing exactly this behavior. Just do a search to find them.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by maddawg
Yes, I have had many drives that exceed 20 minutes. Today it seems to be working. Like I said disconnecting the battery seemed to reset it and get it to update Real-Time.

I am becoming less and less impressed with this Government Motors vehicle. It seems that I have had many $100-$200 problems that are "Dealer Only" fixes. These are not repairs just the "Oh, that needs to be reprogrammed" fixes.

Thanks for the tip.
Dawg. It's not just Government Motors. All of your newer car makes seem to have these $100-$200 problems that are "Dealer Only". Complex electronic systems are the problem. No car company is immune.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:14 PM

Yes, the electronics on all the new cars are somewhat problematic, and very expensive to deal with when they fail.

Quick Reply: Temperature Display Hung