Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ticking sound ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 11:38 AM
Administrator

So you call the j shaped piece the whisker? I call that the ground electrode and the little centre electrode (the iridium piece) the whisker
Old 08-31-2017, 11:43 AM

Remember Oldblue I am a young'in, so my terminology might not be correct LOL. In this case yes, the ground electrode. Gregg ate the #3 one and spat it out somewhere, alerting me by making all those nonsensical and somewhat hysterical cries for help. He is okay now, though. . I think the main thing is to let OP know to search for the SIMPLEST solution first, usually that solves the issue. EXAMPLE: Someone recently on the Facebook page mentioned that they saved an HHR off a flatbed headed for the junkyard because it had engine power reduced, wouldn't accelerate, shifted hard, all that nonsense and apparently the person was told that the car needed basically an all new drive-train. The guy bought the car off the flatbed, opened the hood, plugged in the unplugged MAF, and it has been good as new since then. Simple solution first!
Old 08-31-2017, 11:53 AM
Administrator

I agree K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple Silly
Old 08-31-2017, 01:40 PM

Slightly off topic....Many years ago I had an old Chevette that made a funny clicking noise that I only heard in with the windows rolled down. The clicking became faster and slower with vehicle speed and seemed to be coming from the left front wheel. I was thinking that I had a bad bearing until I mentioned it to and elderly shade tree mechanic that I knew and he told me to look for a pebble stuck in the tire tread. Sure enough there was a bit of pea gravel stuck in the tire tread and every time it came around and contacted the pavement it made that clicking noise. Keep it simple indeed. When I first heard my HHR making a clicking noise that was the first thing I looked for....LOL.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by romarpete
I'm a couple of years late into this thread but just thought I would mention that my 2011 HRR with 60K miles does the same thing. Ticking only when the engine has been sitting cold over night and only when throttle is applied. No ticking at idle. When driving it goes away if I take my foot off the throttle and coast but I give it a little gas and I can hear it again. And like the OP mentioned it goes away when the engine reaches normal operating temp.
I have '11 with 78k miles - does the exact same thing.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:50 AM

Odd. My 06 with 211,000 is DEAD silent after the fix. Can barely hear it running in my garage even.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:43 AM

I know this is a old thread, but my 2006 started making a ticking noise. Its the same noise that a car would make on a cold morning before all the oil goes into the motor. Except this ticking starts about 15 minutes into driving. I checked the oil and its not low. I use the car to drive my 80 year old mother around so I would hate to have it break down with her with me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I love this car but i cant afford a huge mechanic bill.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by shortbred
I know this is a old thread, but my 2006 started making a ticking noise. Its the same noise that a car would make on a cold morning before all the oil goes into the motor. Except this ticking starts about 15 minutes into driving. I checked the oil and its not low. I use the car to drive my 80 year old mother around so I would hate to have it break down with her with me. Does anyone have any suggestions? I love this car but i cant afford a huge mechanic bill.
to the forums!

Please read this whole thread, and answer every question that has been asked.
Old 10-18-2022, 05:10 PM

Hello;

I am experiencing the same ticking sound as described in the initial post on this thread. Rapid ticking upon cold start that persists for about five miles of gentle driving and then fades away. The rate follows the engine RPM. 2010 HHR LT 2.2L automatic. 85,000 miles. I read the comments and will try injection cleaner although I have little faith in additives. I will also try replacing plugs but one thing at a time. It seems to be a common problem with no clear resolution. So.... I looked on the Cobalt forum. It appears the 2010 Cobalt and the 2010 HHR share a common 2.2L engine. There are several posts for the turbo but not the 2.2L engine. It does not appear to occur with the 2.2L in a Cobalt. My query: Is there a difference between the 2.2L engine in the 2010 Cobalt and the 2010 HHR? If so, that should point to a resolution.
Old 10-18-2022, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rich the confused
My query: Is there a difference between the 2.2L engine in the 2010 Cobalt and the 2010 HHR? If so, that should point to a resolution.
The main difference is that the HHR is flex fuel and can use E85 fuel, and the Cobalt can not. The HHR prabably has, among a few other subtle differences, bigger fuel injectors, and (when using E85) more aggressive cam timing and spark advance. I don’t know how that could make a difference in this issue, but who knows?

Quick Reply: Ticking sound ...