Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Time to get the hands dirty....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
Only while braking. If I had to pinpoint the sound, it's to the left of center under the dash. I though about the steering column.

Ride is just getting rough over any bump in the road, but still quiet.
Hey Solman...Did you also feel shaking on the steering Wheel? I had a similar issue on my hhr. Everytime that I pressed the brakes, I feel a clicking,clunking noise, in the same area as you describe, and also a shaking on the steering wheel. I thought that was the Steering column. I inspected below the dashboard, and the column itself and guess what? A 1/2" nut that conects the steering column rods was loose!!!! I just tight it, and no more issues!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Zagohhr
Hey Solman...Did you also feel shaking on the steering Wheel? I had a similar issue on my hhr. Everytime that I pressed the brakes, I feel a clicking,clunking noise, in the same area as you describe, and also a shaking on the steering wheel. I thought that was the Steering column. I inspected below the dashboard, and the column itself and guess what? A 1/2" nut that conects the steering column rods was loose!!!! I just tight it, and no more issues!
ONly sound is the plastic rattleing sound. But I will take a look and see if averything under is tight. It's a very slight shake in the wheel, moreso on hard braking or initial downshifting.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:42 AM

Hey Solman,

I too am looking at doing the moog endlinks and Energy Suspension greaseable poly swaybar bushings. In my search for a how to on replacing the swaybar bushings, I came across this info:

DreamHRR put them on, states that he loves them:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...2&postcount=13

DreamHHR says clunk is back, told it might be the aftermarket poly bushings. Replaces aftermarkets with OEM (non-greaseable) bushings and clunk is gone: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...1&postcount=26

Of course you can read the entire thread starting at: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/greasable-poly-sway-bar-bushing-20928/