Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Timing chain motor trashed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 08:20 PM

Timing chain motor trashed?

Well guys after a long time away from the forum I needed to make a new account.

The He situation is this. The car has had loud exhaust since I got it. I loaned the car to several people. I now put a factory muffler back on. Got and fixed the dreaded fuel leak. This is all on the last 7 days. I started the car yesterday (Christmas) slight clatter knew I was due for a oil change. Drove about 35 min parked had dinner started slight clatter again same drive home. Went out this morning to start it. Hit the key very loud clatter fires on one cyl and nothing. Tried to start a second time and cranked but would not fire. I. Already checked fuel spark etc. so I pulled the valve cover off. For sure timing chain parts are bad. Chain saga between both gears. I moved the chain a hair and the intake cam pushed back about a tooth.

Any help in what to do next would be great. This is my only car and I still owe on it. Car had 165,385 miles on it. Doesn’t look to dirty under the valve cover and Hartley any deposits. Worse case is anyone on the forums selling a running engine? Thank guys please shoot me your thoughts.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:04 PM
Technical Moderator

I would get a borescope and look at the pistons, if the valves didn't hit any of them replace the chain. There are borescopes around for less than $20 that plug into your smart phone.

If you need a used engine there should be plenty in local salvage yards; usually around $500. Many salvage yards will install.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

X2 what donbrew says above. And if you go the route of replacing the engine, make sure to stick with the same engine (ie: don't try substituting a 2.4 for a 2.2 etc.) and preferably the same year, although some exceptions can be made.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:56 PM

I’m looking for borescopes now just not finding anything local for the iPhone. I’m also looking for engines just in case. I’m not finding a lot of affordable options right now. I don’t think swapping to a larger or smaller (turbo) engine would be a safe move for me.

When I took the valve cover off I do not have the bigger cam gears VVT I think it’s called?

I also dont have any place to work on it except outside outside in front of my house I have no garage.

will the borescope show impact pretty clearly? Also is there another way like rotating the engine by hand to tdc and then rotating the cams checking the gap on the cam lobes?

Old 12-26-2018, 10:09 PM

I think my reply is pending. But I’m trying to find a borescope local with no luck. Also I noticed my motor has the small cam sprockets so it’s not VVC? I think it’s called? Is there a certain year they moved to that other style?
Old 12-27-2018, 08:14 AM
Technical Moderator

2.2L 2009-2011 is VVT not before that. All 2.4L are VVT.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, sorry your engine has had to much cheer and well is in need of attention.
first, please don’t turn the crank shaft on your engine!
Second does the timing chain look loose?
its not a hard job to change the chain

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...in-kits-60394/
Old 12-27-2018, 12:34 PM

Hi oldblue. I wish I could remember my old username and password. I will include a pic of the state of the chain. I only attempted to start the car 2 times. As we know there is the auto start feature it cranks like 4 revolutions each touch of the key. I think I will have a borescope Monday that will at least tell me if there was contact. I’m not opposed to pulling the head. However I have no shelter to work on the car with. I wish I could find a way to make the story of what happened shorter. I am afraid of writing a novel lol.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Yep you have a broken front guide, disassemble the front cover of the engine.
pull the spark plugs, wait till you get the camera in there, look for crescent shaped marks in the intake side of the pistons then the exhaust side, look for bent valve heads, if you can manoeuvre the camera
Old 12-27-2018, 07:46 PM

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope you get a stroke of luck and the heartbeat is still there with the change of a chain. Good luck buddy!

Quick Reply: Timing chain motor trashed?