Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Timing Chain Replacing

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 06:04 AM
Administrator

As shown in the DDM tutorial link turn the crankshaft to top dead centre, #1 piston .
place intake camshaft with the sprocket loosely attached so the diamond points toward 2 o’clock
then place the exhaust camshaft in place with the triangle pointing towards 10 o’clock. Then you can install the timing chain.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:33 AM

How difficult to understand? Don't over think it. I can't think of any more ways to say it.
If the chain is off TDC is TDC, PERIOD. Turn the crank to key straight up. Every time the key is straight up t#1 piston is at TDC. Turn the crankshaft CLOCKWISE only.
Then put the odd colored link on the crank mark. The crank mark is at about 5:00 on a analog clock.
Then turn the intake cam to line up with the next mark on the chain.
Then match the marks on the exhaust cam and chain.

The chain is the constant, the cams move to match it. If the marks on all 3 sprockets match up to all 3 marked chain links you are OK.

MOVE THE CAMS TO MATCH THE CHAIN MARKS.. It does not matter where anything is before you remove the old chain., it is a bit easier if the cams are close. The marks will only line up one revolution in 64, or so after the chain is installed.

The picture you posted in #10 is explaining something else.

AFTER the chain is installed the marks should look like this: The point is to force the cam sprockets to line up to the chain.

Old 03-06-2024, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Do not turn the camshafts while piston is at TDC, turn the crank 90 degrees to allow clearance.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
As shown in the DDM tutorial link turn the crankshaft to top dead centre, #1 piston .
place intake camshaft with the sprocket loosely attached so the diamond points toward 2 o’clock
then place the exhaust camshaft in place with the triangle pointing towards 10 o’clock. Then you can install the timing chain.
OK, I got it, so according to the directions who cares about TDC, just rotate the cams where the diamond points toward 2 o’clock.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
How difficult to understand? Don't over think it. I can't think of any more ways to say it.
If the chain is off TDC is TDC, PERIOD. (How difficult is it to understand the question is which TDC? is this the TDC Compression stroke or the TDC Exhaust stroke?)

The picture you posted in #10 is explaining something else. (The picture is the entire discussion, TDC Compression stroke does not align with the example)
I took the chain off at TDC compression. This means I need put the chain back on and rotate to TDC Exhaust to see if the cam sprockets match the drawing.
I will let you know of the results.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Just a FYI. The timing marks don’t line up with every rotation or 2 of the crankshaft. In fact it takes many rotations before all the marks realign.
Old 03-06-2024, 10:56 PM

It does appear that the camshafts are approximately 180 degrees from where they should be at TDC at the end of the compression stroke. The only possibilities I can think of are either
1.) You've misidentified cylinder #1. It is the cylinder on the passenger side of the vehicle.

​​​​​Or

2.) You're at the end of the exhaust stroke. To identify the compression stroke, remove the spark plugs. As the crankshaft is turned, air will be pushed out of the spark plug hole during the compression stroke.

I apologize if you already know this, but we don't have any way to know what your knowledge level is. .

Donbrew and Oldblue are saying that once the chain is removed, you can loosen the camshafts, rotate the crankshaft to 60 degrees before TDC, then rotate the camshafts to where they need to be. Without the chain installed, there are no strokes, TDC is simply crankshaft keyway at 12 o'clock.

If you want to put the chain back on and rotate the assembly, that's fine too. Stop when the intake sprocket diamond is at 12 o'clock. That's 60 degrees before TDC(crankshaft keyway ought to be at approximately 10 o'clock) . This might be the safer option.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:09 PM

It does not matter where the crankshaft was when the chain was removed! Removing the chain sets the engine to factory blank. If all of the sprocket marks are close to the final product it is a bit easier.
TURN THE CRANKSHAFT SO THAT THE KEY IS AT12:00. THAT INSURES THAT #1 IS AT TDC.

THEN LINE THE ODD COLORED LINK TO THE MARK ON THE CRANK (5:00 ish).

THEN LINE THE NEXT COLORED LINK ON THE CHAIN TO THE INTAKE MARK ON THE INTAKE CAM.

THEN LINE THE NEXT COLORED LINK ON THE CHAIN TO THE EXHAUST MARK ON THE EXHAUST CAM.

THEN STAND BACK AND GAZE AT THE FINISHED PRODUCT. IF THE MARKS ARE ALL POINTING AT COLORED LINKS YOU ARE DONE.

The crankshaft key is TDC at either Exh or Int (IT DOES NOT MATTER, BECAUSE IT IS THE CAMS THAT MATTER), then you set the cams to their TDC positions (where they line up to the colored links).

Every time the crank is turned to key up #1 piston is a TDC (period). It is the cams that determine INT or EXH, that is why they have INT and EXH engraved on them.

STOP THINKING !!@!!!@ it is mindless work, not magic.
"insert tab "A" into slot "A"; just like Ikea.

Maybe thinking of the chain as a straght line would help?
Old 03-08-2024, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
It does appear that the camshafts are approximately 180 degrees from where they should be at TDC at the end of the compression stroke. The only possibilities I can think of are either
1.) You've misidentified cylinder #1. It is the cylinder on the passenger side of the vehicle.
​​​​​Or
2.) You're at the end of the exhaust stroke. To identify the compression stroke, remove the spark plugs. As the crankshaft is turned, air will be pushed out of the spark plug hole during the compression stroke.
I apologize if you already know this, but we don't have any way to know what your knowledge level is. .
or I can just watch the cam and right after the intake valves close, the next TDC is TDC compression.
I believe the issue is that Cloyes says the engine should be at TDC exhaust.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by FallGuy2005
or I can just watch the cam and right after the intake valves close, the next TDC is TDC compression.
I believe the issue is that Cloyes says the engine should be at TDC exhaust.
Forget about exhaust or intaked stroke if the marks are line up with the chain it's in time.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Replacing