Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

TPMS : 2 sensors quit reporting at same time

Old 09-10-2017, 09:02 PM

TPMS : 2 sensors quit reporting at same time

I recently inflated my tires from 26 psi (been letting it go for awhile) up to 32 psi (my preferred pressure). A day later, the RF set off the monitor, and the LF followed within hours. A few days later, both still read nothing, but the rear sensors are still OK. Just a coincidence ? or is something going wrong with the read-out? I have eight wheels, both sets from 2009 panels, so I can't tell which wheels have received new sensors (I replaced two, 3 and 4 years ago). Seems odd that two would fail within a coupla hours of each other, doesn't it?
Old 09-10-2017, 09:08 PM

Are they showing actually nothing, or dashes?

They're just as likely to fail at the same instant as not. When mine failed, it would occasionally go dashes, but usually functioned properly.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:15 PM

They both show dashes. If it is just the sensors, I might not replace them, since they're just a pain (and expense). Does the TPMS have to be functioning to pass the safety inspection, coming next month? I'm spending cubic dollars on a new home project right now, and I don't need more $ outlay, at this time.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:20 PM

Maybe someone who knows Texas law will chime in. Cali just has smog check every other year, not a safety inspection.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:47 AM
Premium Member

As long as the TPMS does not set a trouble code, you should pass inspection.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Technical Moderator

If it was the RCDLR none would be working. There are DTCs for the TPMS, they just don't cause CEL (because they are not related to emissions).

You need to know what you are doing with the code reader to get them. Each has a 2 digit hex number after it that tells the exact reason.
Name:  tpms hex.PNG
Views: 754
Size:  17.2 KB
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2017, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by J W Davis
As long as the TPMS does not set a trouble code, you should pass inspection.
Thanks. I have enough on my plate (demo and replace house) for now, without replacing faulty sensors. I wish they weren't on my panel or my wife's Cobalt...they are just another unnecessary piece to fail, and need to be replaced too often for me (like the headlamp bulbs, until I took out the running light fuse on the panel...makes my bulbs last 4 times as long). I'll check the codes when I remember to, but since it isn't an inspection issue, then it'll be on a back burner.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:33 AM
Technical Moderator

7 years; that's too often? How often do you change a watch battery?

So, now you get 12 years out of headlight bulbs? Hint: get the cheapest bulbs; the cooler they are the longer they last. My OE bulbs lasted 3-4 years, replaced with expensive "bright white" bulbs that lasted 6 months, back to the cheap "yellow" bulbs never did blow.

And got 2 class-action checks from Sylvania for their false advertising life estimates.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:01 PM

slight exaggeration of timescale

Originally Posted by donbrew
7 years; that's too often? How often do you change a watch battery?

So, now you get 12 years out of headlight bulbs? Hint: get the cheapest bulbs; the cooler they are the longer they last. My OE bulbs lasted 3-4 years, replaced with expensive "bright white" bulbs that lasted 6 months, back to the cheap "yellow" bulbs never did blow.

And got 2 class-action checks from Sylvania for their false advertising life estimates.
I may be a bit off on the actual time of replacement...too many cars over the years. I do know that all of the TPMS sensors on/off my eight 2009 HHR Panel wheels (from my truck and a friend's truck, have been mostly replaced ?!? Not really bad for almost ten years from mfg. date, but still an unnecessary expense, for an item/feature I could do without. Come to think of it, I replaced Sylvania bright white bulbs many, many times on my HHR, after I switched back to "yellow" bulbs, I think I've only changed one. Perhaps the elimination of the running lights feature had little to do with the bulb longevity?