Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Traction control and service engine light on in my '09 . It's a manual 4.0. It

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 01:42 PM

Traction control and service engine light on in my '09 . It's a manual 4.0. It

Traction control went first. Didnt really seem to effect much except winter driving but the check engine light was accompanied by the vehicle stuttering at idle and in low rpm. It creates a really jerky ride when in a gear at those low rpms. I heard it could possibly be a sensor. Any clues? Most of these posts are about automatic transmission. Mine's a manual 5 speed 2.2 and the different transmissions don't always match up when troubleshooting. Haven't put it on a computer yet. Hoping to find someone who's had same car and issues before i trust some tech somewhere. Thx.

Last edited by Robert Welch; 09-18-2018 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Not enuf info and misspelling
Old 09-17-2018, 02:53 PM
Platinum Member

09 what model,engine size ? There is no such thing as a 4.0 in the HHR family.
AND, if you have a check engine light you have to get the trouble codes pulled to see what has set the light off.
quote: "Most of these posts are about manual transmission." (not really sure what you mean here)

Can't really help you unless you provide some pertinent info.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:19 PM

Your car is in "limp mode". That is when a code is thrown that the computer determines could damage something in the drive train. Reduced power, hard shifts, traction control disabled. However as said without more info no one can help.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Robert - it would be a idea to read this thread about Check Engine Lights - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...e-light-52828/
Old 09-17-2018, 09:53 PM
Technical Moderator

They just put that silly light on cars to annoy people. It causes the car to act up. If only we could just disable it.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Doc brown
Your car is in "limp mode". That is when a code is thrown that the computer determines could damage something in the drive train. Reduced power, hard shifts, traction control disabled. However as said without more info no one can help.
My car is an 09. It's a manual trans. Most posts on here are about automatic transmissions, which don't always match up troubleshooting wise. It's a 4.0 not sure what that other guy was talking about.
Traction control went then recently the check engine. Problems are what i detailed earlier. Was hoping for someone who might have had the issue before because everything else seems like guessing to me. I'll have to put it on the computer and hope the tech isn't an idiot. Thx.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Welch
My car is an 09. It's a manual trans. Most posts on here are about automatic transmissions, which don't always match up troubleshooting wise. It's a 4.0 not sure what that other guy was talking about.
Traction control went then recently the check engine. Problems are what i detailed earlier. Was hoping for someone who might have had the issue before because everything else seems like guessing to me. I'll have to put it on the computer and hope the tech isn't an idiot. Thx.
HHRs came with 2.2, 2.4, or 2.0 Turbo, all 4 cyl engines. The later was only available in the SS. If you have a 4.0 you are not driving an HHR. Your issue could be caused by a number of things and without the code we'd only be guessing. You can get the code checked for free at most auto parts stores.

Also, what make and model is your car?
Old 09-18-2018, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Robert Welch
It's a 4.0 what ? There is nothing on a HHR labeled as a "4.0" Engine sizes are 2.2 and 2.4 litre. A 2.0 turbocharged was in the SS's.
Lot's of folks have had similar issues as you and they've been discussed in depth on this forum. As stated before, You need to have the trouble codes pulled from the computer(the Check Engine Light) before you can diagnois what the problem is.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:53 AM

AFAIK 4.0 liter engines are only in Jeeps.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:01 PM
Technical Moderator

Without the code numbers and a definition of "4.0" we are just guessing. If you have a 4.0L engine in an HHR, you will have to find out what car it came out of and find the person that did the modification to diagnose it. As has been stated; there is NO designation applied to an HHR of "4.0" except that it has 4 wheels.

Quick Reply: Traction control and service engine light on in my '09 . It's a manual 4.0. It