Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Transmission Will not go into reverse after fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 12:04 PM

Transmission Will not go into reverse after fluid change

Howdy folks. I'm having a problem with the transmission in our '08 HHR.
First of all, this has been a terrible week for our poor car. There might be compounded problems here. Our thermostat went out (replacement just came in today actually) and my wife managed to put about 10$ worth of diesel in the tank. She took it in without letting me know and they filled the tank with gas, 'pumped the lines a bit', and put some Sea Foam in the tank. Seemed to be running fine afterward. But on to the transmission.

For some background, about two years ago a hole was made in the transmission pan by a big friendly rock that my wife failed to avoid. Nothing seemed to be damaged except the pan so it was replaced by a friend of mine who used the old gasket. it was in bad shape. He coated it in 'gasket maker' to repair it and when he told me this I assumed it would start to leak and would need replacing soon but after months and months of checking and finding no leaks at all I decided maybe he knew what he was doing.

Well, yesterday my wife was driving and noticed that it was having a hard time accelerating from a complete stop. She knew I had been worried about the gasket so she stopped and checked it. Sure enough, there was a small leak along the pan's gasket. She drove it to where she was going (about 5 minutes away) and found that fluid was POURING out of the gasket. She didn't drive it further and she heard no odd grinding sounds or anything else out of the ordinary (Besides the acceleration issue)

We borrowed a friends car and picked up transmission fluid, a gasket, and a new transmission filter since they're pretty cheap. I took off the old pan. No visible metal shavings. Fluid smelled fine and looked fine. replaced the filter. Reassembly went fine. Added the new transmission fluid. I've seen posts here saying there is no drain plug on the pan so I thought that the mystery plug on the bottom of the pan was the fill level plug. Silly mistake. The pan I replaced the old one with did have a drain plug and I removed it. It poured out what I thought was a small amount of transmission fluid before I could get it back on and I did not have any more with me to refill. At the time I was thinking it really didn't seem like much so I tried to drive it. It goes forward (at least at low speed. I didn't take it on the road.) but it does nothing at all in reverse.

Could this have anything to do with the diesel or the thermostat being stuck open? Could the transmission be damaged? Or is it more likely I just lost more fluid than I thought and I need to refill?

(I promise I'm not just blaming my wife for my mistakes! )
Old 09-07-2017, 12:29 PM

Hi sehrule, to the forums!!

Here is a link to some pics of the location of the fluid level "check" plug. The procedure is in the thread also.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/main...e6/#post828992
Old 09-07-2017, 01:02 PM

If I understand you, you drained the transmission and did not refill it. It takes 6.9 quarts after you remove the pan.

The easiest way to ruin the pan and cause leaks is to not torque the bolts properly, they should be at 89 LB. IN., just about hand tight. Any more and the pan will bend.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! Follow the fill instructions that RJ posted a link to
Old 09-07-2017, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the replies! I bought a torque wrench and more transmission fluid on my lunch break. I'll refill it and make sure I have the correct torque after work.

I've been looking for an actual picture of the fluid level check plug. That's very helpful!
Old 09-08-2017, 05:22 PM

Alright, sorry for the delay. When I remove the check plug, fluid POURS out. I read that it should be a slow drip. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to remove the plug completely or just unscrew it.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Here is some guidance

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/main...n-fluid-28917/

You are checking that plug with the engine running?
Old 09-08-2017, 05:42 PM

Nope! Cars warming up now. I can't find anything on that thread that made it sound like you shouldn't take the plug out completely. but if you're supposed to completely remove it then I must have way to much transmission fluid in it. Will check again when car is warmed up.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:49 PM

Check the fluid by removing the plug completely, car level, engine running, operating temp.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:23 PM

With the car warmed up and the plug completely out no fluid came out. Adding more fluid!

Quick Reply: Transmission Will not go into reverse after fluid change