Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

TSB 06-08-51-002 (04/11/2006) Body - Paint/Body Damage On Rocker Panels

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 07:21 AM

TSB 06-08-51-002 (04/11/2006) Body - Paint/Body Damage On Rocker Panels

Does anyone know the specifics on this one? I can't remember where I saw it I think on this site but it tells nothing about it. You have to pay a fee on the site it brings you to. The GM rep is calling me today about my complaint and I would like to know what this says so I sound some what knowledgeable in what I'm talking about.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by vschriver
Does anyone know the specifics on this one? I can't remember where I saw it I think on this site but it tells nothing about it. You have to pay a fee on the site it brings you to. The GM rep is calling me today about my complaint and I would like to know what this says so I sound some what knowledgeable in what I'm talking about.
PM your email to me and I will send you a copy.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:12 AM

In short, it says the only solution to correct the issue is installing the running boards. It also allows for one (free) re-painting of the damaged areas but does not offer any discounts for the running boards.

The first time I took the sandblasted rockers to the dealer, they repainted and installed the factory mud flaps for me, no charge, that was in the spring of 2006.

The second time in, they repainted and installed the running boards for me for a total charge of $200, that was in the spring of 2007.

The problem is now fixed, I didn't get any damage to the rocker panels after the last winter (2008).

I've read all sorts of resolutions on the internet from free running boards to folks paying retail but who knows what is really true. The deal you get is how well you renegotiate with GM. In my case, my dealer went to bat for me.

I think if you let the rep know that you know this is a well known problem with a TSB and you are willing to work with him/her, you should reach a deal you both can live with.

In my case, I was willing to pay up to $343 which is the GMS price for the running board option, so I saved.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 AM

I told my dealership that if I couldn't get them free I was more than willing to pay half. I was told the GM rep said no and they didn't go up to bat for me. So today if I'm told no I will ask if we can work out something so I don't have to pay the full price. At this point if they would put the mudflaps on for me free but they said not to that as well at the dealers. My 1997 Astro van has had better luck than this thing and I still drive that tank around.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:47 PM

What years does the TSB cover as I waxed the pumpkin and noticed it looks like hell.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Founding Member

#06-08-51-002C: Paint Chipping Front of Rear Wheels, Damaged Lower Door and Rocker Panels (Refinish Damaged Area) - (May 2, 2008)

Subject: Paint Chipping Front of Rear Wheels, Damaged Lower Door and Rocker Panels (Refinish Damaged Area)

Models: 2006-2008 Chevrolet HHR

Attention: Implementation of this Service Bulletin requires case-by-case review and approval by your Area Service Manager (U.S.) or District Service Manager (Canada) PRIOR to performing any repairs.
----------------

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2008 model year and update the refinishing guide information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-51-002B (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).
----------------

Important: 'GM of Canada' dealers are not authorized to utilize this service bulletin for 2007 and 2008 model year vehicles. The 2007 and 2008 Chevrolet HHR models sold in Canada are equipped with colour keyed running boards as standard equipment.

Condition
Some customers may comment that the paint is chipped in front of the rear wheels. Some customers may also comment about damage to the lower rear door and rear rocker panels.

Cause
The rocker and lower door areas may be damaged by road debris thrown up by the tires at highway speeds.

Correction
Important: It may be necessary to perform the following repair in order to meet customer expectations and gain their product satisfaction.

Refinish the lower door and rocker panel. For the proper refinish materials to use, refer to the 2008 GMWI5406 GM Globally Approved Refinish Materials information. The refinish materials information is now online at the GMGOODWRENCH WEB SITE*. Printed books have been discontinued. To access the site, follow these steps:

Refer to the extent of the repair instructions as approved by your Area Service Manager (U.S.) or District Service Manager (Canada).
Old 05-16-2008, 04:08 AM

Before we bought the SS, I asked my dealer if the SS style running boards would prevent the "sandblasting" effect. They didn't know, I called GM and they didn't know what I was talking about (no surprise).

Any ideas or do we just need to wait?
Old 05-16-2008, 07:39 AM

I only had to pay for the running boards GM picked up the rest after I *****ed & complained
Old 05-16-2008, 07:57 AM

GM or the dealership picked up the rest?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:27 PM

i'm in the same position now... any advice on how to have GM install running boards for free?

Quick Reply: TSB 06-08-51-002 (04/11/2006) Body - Paint/Body Damage On Rocker Panels