Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Turn Signal "Tick Tock" Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:17 PM

Turn Signal "Tick Tock" Problem

So... Earlier this morning I installed the steering wheel controls for my factory stereo. The installation was easy, fine and went smoothly. I put the steering wheel back together, and headed out for work.

On my way to work I noticed something odd.

When I take a turn and activate my Turn Signals... the "tick tock" and the "lever" do not return to "off" after I've taken my turn.

I can flick the lever to activate my turn signal; takle my turn and complete my turn and rotate my wheel back to its normal position but as I rotate my wheel back, it is supposed to automatically knock that lever back into its "off" position.

Its not doing that anymore.

Its stays on and my turn signal is still on; and tick tocking away. I can manually flick it back "off"... but that'll get annoying after awhile.

Anyone have any advice here? I didn't mess with that lever switch when I installed those stereo controls... was there maybe something inside the wheel though that got knocked out of whack? Keep in mind, that lever does not go into the wheel; it goes into the shaft that the wheel is attached to. I never touched that shaft section though.

The new wiring harness for those stereo controls; was a crude and quick installation; resulting in my just stuffing them back into a corner somewhere... but if this problem with the turn signal turns out to not be related and its just coincidence that it happened at the same time... well, thats warranty service for me; and they'll know I was inside that steering wheel, and I'm worried they'de say that I did something to screw it up and try to charge me an arm and a leg to fix it.

So I am hoping someone around here who knows their way around inside their HHR's steering wheel; might have some advice for what I can look for on my own that might fix the problem.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:21 PM

Here's all I found in search: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ht=turn+signal
Old 03-07-2007, 12:31 PM

Though not an encouraging read... it is quite a helpful link there.

Thanks Hill.

I guess I'll have to go back into the wheel later and clean up my messy wiring job... try to make it look more like a professional installation. Then just hope the Dealer doesn't try to accuse me of being at fault for anything.

I just had it in yesterday morning and had them confirm that my stereo is faulty; the speed sensitive volume control doesn't work so they agreed to replace the stereo... so yea, they'll know I was inside that wheel, unless I can convince them I had it done professionally.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:36 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by Nazramoth
so yea, they'll know I was inside that wheel, unless I can convince them I had it done professionally.
Pro or not, if it wasn't done by dealer or "authorized agent", it could void some of the warranty. I Hope it goes undetected for your sake.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:48 PM

Well...

On the plus side... I do still have the original cover piece for the Wheel. I could just go and unplug those controls, take them off the wheel; tuck the loose plug end away out of sight somewhere and then replace the original cover back over.

Then all I would have to do is figure out how to get that big metal center plate off so I can tuck the rest of the wires back the way they're supposed to be run through there. Then it'll at least look like something that came with the car "as is".

I bought the car Used... so there is no way their Service Department would know what wiring harness was already inside there.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:38 PM

Or just wait till the new stero is in then when you pick it up say hey now the blinkers don't work right.
The Devil made me write that.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:44 PM

Well thats certainly a good thought too...

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. It's an annoying problem but I can live with it if I have to.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:57 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by karen1953
Or just wait till the new stero is in then when you pick it up say hey now the blinkers don't work right.
The Devil made me write that.
KAREN!!!