Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

vent solenoid switch failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 08:13 AM

vent solenoid switch failure

I believe the code was 0449 but it translated to the vent solenoid switch failure; computer turned on the check engine light and entered the code...... I read all the articles about it and watched three You Tube videos on it and replaced the unit..... waited for the dash light to go out but eventually shut it off by pulling the battery cable..... good to go... until the light popped back on again after maybe twenty miles.... and yes, I am sure I installed it correctly, but I have no way to determine if the electrical circuit works..... and I know that is the problem.... and no, I don't want to take it to a dealership $$$$ and the light had been on for 80,000 miles so I don't really care..... yes, a poor attitude.... but got to thinking the other day about this and wondered if anybody else has gone through this and questioned that MAYBE there was a blown fuse and if so, that would also cause a circuit failure.... so this is a long shot.... Does anybody know which fuse controls this function so I don't have to pull them one at a time to look? Any other ideas would also be appreciated..... and a PS..... Does pulling the positive cable actually clear the code? or does that code have to be removed from my car's computer using a diagnostic code reading machine at, say... O'Reillys?????

And while I am at it....This has happened about five times since I have owned the HHR.... everything is fine, and then you step on the brake pedal and hear a "click" down my the shift lever..... every single time.... By accident, I removed the battery cable and that solves the "click" problem..... ideas why and what it is? I also had a similar problem with the cruise control failure.... and pulled the battery cable to put in a new battery and the cruise stated functioning normally again...... Sometimes I wonder if I didn't buy a Chevy Blazer with all the electrical issues....

Any help/suggestions/ideas appreciated..... The car has 168,000 on it but still looks brand new..... and I don't want to toss any money into it....
Old 01-09-2020, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

What year, model and engine ?
Switch ? What switch ? And post the entire code when looking for help. Guess you mean P0449.

FYI. As far as the cruise control not working. Certain CEL codes will disable the cruise control function. By disconnecting the battery, it cleared those codes and allowed the cruise control to work again. No mystery or magic or wiring issue.
No need to pull each fuse to "have a look". A cheap test light or multi-meter is all that's needed to probe the fuses.

Last edited by firemangeorge; 01-10-2020 at 06:37 AM. Reason: added
Old 01-09-2020, 09:42 AM

Don't remove the positive cable!!!! Fire, injury, destruction can result. Yes removing the ground cable does clear faults but does not fix anything. Most faults clear themselves when the condition is fixed.

Which valve did you replace? Under the car by the gas tank or under the hood?

The clicking when you step on the brake usually means your battery is going south.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Oldblue
P0499 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Solenoid Control Circuit High Voltage,

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0499

some information
Steve
Recheck post #1. He stated code 0449. Not P0499 that you gave the link to.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Oopsies,

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0449

and more information
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/main...e-p0449-57128/

Last edited by Oldblue; 01-09-2020 at 07:30 PM.