Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Vibration at Idle - Not in Park

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:43 PM

Vibration at Idle - Not in Park

I hear a vibration when I am in idle that goes away when I put it in Park or Neutral. Not exceedingly loud but only there when idling and in gear. Is not heard when under acceleration. Vehicle is a 2010, 2.4 engine, with 47K miles. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:50 PM

First thing that comes to mind is a motor mount grounding out (touching metal to medal when in gear). Inspect them and look for ware marks. How long has this problem been there?. Has the car been wrecked?
Old 12-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Deceased

Hmmm....that great minds thing again Lucky.

Motor mounts would be the prime suspects, even with 47k on the clock.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:55 AM
Platinum Member

A second area to look at would be the exhaust system. When it's in gear, the engine will be "torqued" or turned slightly against the mounts. If the exhaust has any clearance issues, it could be rubbing when in gear.
In my old hot rod days, tight fitting headers used to cause the same type problem. Can't tell you the number of times I've modded a custom exhaust system with a ball peen hammer.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:51 AM

Might want to check your Air intake box. This is a simple check to do.
When the motor is making the noise put your hand on it and apply pressure in different directions to see if the noise changes or goes away.
My 2.4 all of a sudden had a similar situation start just after I had an oil change. The tech had checked the air filter and did not get the box back in position properly. There are several rubber grommets that isolate/reduce the vibration at the box. They found 1 bad one and replaced it. Alls well now.

SF

Last edited by Silverfox; 12-07-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the inputs. It has never been wrecked. How would I check for Air Intake Box when the vibration only occurs when in gear? Is it possible to do a visual inspection on the motor mounts? Thanks!
Old 12-07-2013, 02:08 PM

Make like you are installing a new air filter, make sure that the grommets all connect and that the rear bracket is not broken or loose.

There are plenty of posts about replacing air filters, use the SEARCH box to find them.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by tucsondivots
Thanks for the inputs. It has never been wrecked. How would I check for Air Intake Box when the vibration only occurs when in gear? Is it possible to do a visual inspection on the motor mounts? Thanks!

Engine speed and load changes when in gear and mine was sensitive to that issue. Engine ran a bit smoother in Park/Neutral then in gear.
The question is can you hear it with hood up when in gear and idling?

If so, then try pushing/pulling the air box around to see if you get a response to the noise.
If you cannot tell any differences then that is probably not the culprit but you have to test it while making noise.
The air box is subject to a lot of vibration when idling and therefore it has to be attached in the proper position and made secure.
Damaged rubber buffer grommets can allow a rattling noise that is interpeted a little different inside the car with the doors and windows shut.
Thats why you need to test for this issue with the hood up and you moving/pushing on the airbox slightly.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:39 PM

Thanks. I will give that a try.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:14 PM

Hey tucsondivots,

Sorry to hear about the vibration that you are experiencing. It sounds like you may be taking a look at it yourself, but if you decide to take it into the dealership and would like me to look into your situation for you I am here an happy to help. Just PM me your name, contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership.

Sincerely,

Jonathan A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: Vibration at Idle - Not in Park