Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Vvt solenoid pigtail

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 02:23 AM

Vvt solenoid pigtail

The plastic on both my intake and exhaust pigtails crumbled when I was taking them off to clean the pcv ports in my valve cover. I got them connected just so I could get the car to run but now my baby is having intermittent hard shift issues. Reading here I believe the pigtails could be the problem so I’m going to replace them. I am able to get the exhaust pigtail locally. But no one carries the “intake” pigtail. AND anywhere where I have found it, it’s ridiculously overpriced. The exhaust pigtail is purple and only 23$. The intake pigtail is gray and to order it in I’ve seen anywhere from 50-90$! They don’t even show an intake pigtail at rockauto. Is there a reason I can’t just buy two exhaust pigtails and mark the intake pigtail with like high temp paint on the outside to so it can’t be confused? Is there any difference in the two other than the color?
Old 12-01-2021, 02:37 AM

Commonly they will have different coding and if you look inside you may see some fins or gaps that will be different on the two connectors. Depending on the difference you may be able to remove a fin to make it work. I've done that to hundreds because the manufacturers don't always sell all the keys to the public and I needed two that were not available so I modified a different one to work. I've use a 1/4" wood chisel to very carefully shave them off.
Can you post a picture of the problem connector?

Ira
Old 12-01-2021, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by lazaino
Can you post a picture of the problem connector?

Ira
I will check it out and get a pic tomorrow when I replace the bad exhaust pigtail.
I’m not getting any CEL. But as I already know these pigtails are corroded, I have been hyper aware of potential problems so the second I feel a hard shift I’m looking for a place to pull over and reboot.
I did read on another thread that one can go to a junkyard to get retainer clips. So I may just go by my local place and see if I can pick up a salvaged intake pigtail.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Check out RockAuto, under electrical connectors and don’t forget the discount code