Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Water In Door

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 06:01 AM

Water In Door

hi guys i live in a suburb of chicago, bought a used 2011 hhr last year. go to get in my car yesterday and i hear a crunching sound-look where the door opens and there is ice in there. pull out where i can see better in the sunshine and it is running from the top inside all the way to the bottom and since its cold outside turning into ice in there. at the bottom the ice is quite thick since it pools inside the door there. it seems to be running down from a gasket-i have no warranty, is this going to be an expensive fix? i read all 40 pages and don't have the more common passenger side problem. i also am not a person who can fix their own vehicle-61 year old female, sorry. what do i do? i'm thinking the dealer will want to replace it, sounds expensive. wish i had a picture to post but i don't. i figure this will rust and cause major problems over time. just opening my drivers door sounded horrible with the amount of ice in there. any suggestions?
Old 03-02-2015, 06:19 AM

I moved this post into a thread of it's own, so people may see it.

The obvious answer, since " i also am not a person who can fix their own vehicle", is to take it to a body shop. Absolutely NO need to take it to a Dealership shop for anything besides warranty and recall work.

The description just is not clear enough for me to visualize.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:39 AM
Administrator

this sounds more like ice built up in the hinge area where the door opens , and when you open the door the front edge of the door crunches into the ice making a nasty noise and can limit the door travel, so you can't get in the car.
Up here in the Great White North this is a daily issue, I just pour warm tap water from a garden pail down the front edge of the door until I can open the door.
Spring is just around the corner so I'll figure out something in the warmer weather.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:16 PM

I am with Oldblue. This is normal in Northern climates. It's ice between the door and fender.

If it really bothers you, a car wash will fix it. I had this symptom today, but since sh*tty weather is still coming, I just accept it. I have had it at least half of this winter...

Oldblue, you and I are starting to become ringie-dingie on these things. I am not retired, but I think you are.

So, OP, you have an unemployed former GM engineer, and the superior wisdom of age coming from Oldblue. Argue as you might, you have age-and-wisdom competing with Degrees - and WE AGREE.

I make cracks about age, but I am now older than when I started to do that to my old man. Seriously, we called him "old man" when he was still 44. I guess _I_ am living on the fact that my firstborn came when I was 36, instead of 24. And that is about it.

And, it probably goes without saying, that my babies are above y'all. I did some wild and crazy before them, and hope to do the same after - but for now, I have retired from (all forms of) racing - or I am the doghouse that has not yet been built. Build your shelter! Not going there, m'self.

Like the Senior PGA, I wish they would develop a Seniors racing circuit. I could do more damage there than against some 22-yr-old . That's probably entering WAY into another topic... I love this country, and have seen others (Craven, Bodinex3, Bouchard, Sacks, R .Evans) achieve success. I was good, but I would love to be put up against 50+ peers today. It wouldn't change my life, but it would be so much fun....

Anyway, it's all good..
Old 03-02-2015, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Oh I'm just on the DL for heart bypass surgery not retired, but wanted to be at 55 but the recession took care of that and two divorces!
So, in cold weather run your kitchen hot water fill a kettle up and slowly pour the hot water in the gap between the door and the front fender to get the door open, much less chance of damage to your door.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:54 PM

ok, thanks guys. never had this problem with any other car and i've been driving a really long time. so if you think i'm ok, i feel better. thank you
Old 03-02-2015, 06:26 PM
Administrator

No problemo, enjoy that HHR!
Old 03-03-2015, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Oh I'm just on the DL for heart bypass surgery not retired, but wanted to be at 55 but the recession took care of that and two divorces!
Sorry, you just seemed to be on here every time I check, and more, so I made that assumption. I appreciate the wisdom, though!

Old 03-03-2015, 06:47 PM
Administrator