Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Water Leak on Passenger Side When Raining

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Can you post a picture of the point of the leak? This will help if we could see
Old 05-01-2020, 12:23 PM

Side curtain airbags live under the headliner. The words "air bag" on the screw covers is for information not warning.
If there are some voids in the windshield sealant they should be visible and not unheard of, especially if the windshield has been replaced. That black line around the windshield is urethane sealant, there should be a plastic bit on each end of the windshield some installers disregard replacing them.
#2 in this pic, not all have the top horizontal bit.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:00 PM

As a test ,just an idea mind you, dust say flower on the door seals and around the boot area of the front door.
Close the door and with a hose mist the area.
See if any of the area's are moist.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:27 PM

Here is the joint between the A pillar trim and the dashboard where I saw some water. I was sitting in the car when it was raining with the door closed and don't think any water was actually running down from there on the outside of the dash.

I also saw water dripping from under the dash at the glove box.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:31 PM

I got no clue how water could get there. Evidently under the trim panel.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:32 PM

When I was outside just now to take that last picture I checked the seal at the roof line and followed it down to the fender. Then I checked the windshield piece that donbrew circled in his post above. It is quite loose and was very easy to pull out and put back it. Looks like the seal is broken there.

I am going to try the "flour test" too if I can find some flour. I will be back with the result of that shortly. (It means getting the hose out and turning on the outdoor faucet.)
Old 05-01-2020, 02:41 PM

If that piece came out there is no seal. You can try some RTV or silicone along the top and edges. The windshields seems to have been replaced by a guy wearing size 45 shoes.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:26 PM

Flour experiment completed. I did the driver's door first because that seal is actually pretty bad and I should replace it. What did I learn? I'm a slob and even using a small brush to put the flour on it still got all over. But no leaks. I then tried the passenger side and no leaks either.

Since I had the hose out I put it on higher pressure and sprayed at the corner of the cowl where I would expect it to leak if it was the boot. Nope no leaks.

I then tried the windshield at that upper corner and came down to the cowl. Yep there was my leak. I think when I tried that before I just poured the water on and didn't have any pressure behind it. I've had the car almost 3 years so it did last awhile but I have never had a windshield leak before.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:40 PM

So it looks like the windshield area.
Can you do this test again without the plastic trim and when the area is dry dust it and watch for the water trail ?
Old 05-01-2020, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
So it looks like the windshield area.
Can you do this test again without the plastic trim and when the area is dry dust it and watch for the water trail ?
Yes I can do it again but exactly where should I dust when it dries out? Do you mean dusting on the inside? I haven't tried to take off the A pillar trim

Quick Reply: Water Leak on Passenger Side When Raining