Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Water Leak on Passenger Side When Raining

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 03:06 PM

A good tech could remove your glass without breaking it. Then install it correctly, but that would probably cost as much.

A hint for future use: glass companies make huge mark ups, so they will usually cut a break to a polite customer. Most will waive your insurance deductible if you ask for it. The only one I have run into that would not waive the deductible is Safelite; and they did once when they screwed my appointment up.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:06 PM

The new windshield was installed today. I was told I had a definite major problem. Apparently there were skips in the bead around the entire windshield and no sealer where I had the known leak. I thought it was a pretty good deal for $200 even. Hopefully now I can put all the trim back on and get the carpeting to lay down correctly after being pulled up like I had it to dry

Thanks for the help and suggestions! :)
Old 05-11-2020, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by LadyBee
I have a 2009 2LT HHR with about 110,000 miles that has a water leak on the front passenger side when it rains. I have read a lot of the water leak threads here (snip) so I hope to fix this but I need some suggestions.

I attempted to take off the cowl cover but didn't have any luck on my first attempt. The cabin filter is dry. I pulled up the carpeting on that side and pulled up the firewall insulation as much as I can. I sat in the car one day when it was raining and saw water leak from the very bottom of the dashboard right next to the door. There was also a couple spots of water at the seam of the A pillar trim where it meets the trim near the dash. The next day I tried to pour water on the top edge of the windshield and down the side to the cowl but I couldn't duplicate that water drip. I have tried to cover that side of the car with a tarp when it rains but sometimes it still gets wet.

When I cover the car, the cowl is pretty much covered unless there is a hole in the tarp so I don't think the water is coming in there. I was thinking that possibly the windshield seal leaks or maybe the door seal is bad. Any suggestions on how to attack this would be appreciated!
When I bought mine back in 2009, I got a caulking tube of 100% silicone (clear) & pumped a nice bead around the door accordions (the wires run thru) to prevent any possible water invading. I have never had any issues before or since. I thought of it as preventative maintenance.

But sounds like your windshield bead was the culprit. Personally I would still silicone the rubber in the doors.