Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

more water on drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 07:01 PM

more water on drivers side

I've had my 2009 back to the dealer twice for water leaks onto the drivers side floor. It rained yesterday and the floor was wet again. There was only a little water this time but it was still wet.

The first time I had it back they sealed around where the wires run from the door to the body. The last time they removed some foam that was between a joint and siliconed the body plug just behind the hood release lever.

I've pulled the panels off of the passenger side and there's no trace of water.

The service advisors have been good. I don't want to be a jerk about it but I'm getting a little pissed.

Should there be that much water running down that area? Has anyone else had any continuing water problems? Siliconing body plugs seems like just a way to cover up the real problem. Does anybody have any suggestions?. Thanks for any ideas.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:32 PM

Do you have a sunroof? Could be the drain tubes. Otherwise it could be the butchyl patch. Or does that only make it leak on the passenger side?
Old 10-18-2010, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

Eric-
GM re-designed that area & IIRC ? 2007 was last to use the patch.
Newer ones do NOT have it..

JTinVT-

Perhaps you can have a friend hose down the HHR front & roof, with you inside & keep looking for an entry point....
Old 10-18-2010, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member

If you can narrow it down to a general area, and if room permits, apply baby powder in the general area (you can "puff" the plastic can it comes in, to apply it) - this way you will be able to see where the leak is originating, as it will create trails thru the powder that are very easy to see. I used this trick successfully in the past to track a water leak in the trunk of my old Mazda 626 after the dealer could not find it.

and it makes your car smell like a baby's bottom - that may or may not be a good thing!!! LOL
Old 10-19-2010, 08:35 AM

I don't have a sun roof. It seems to leak only when driven. I have had a hose running on it for quite a while. I also sprayed in the wheel well. I think it must come in primarily when the car is driven. I am going to do the baby powder or maybe by a can of spray foot powder.

Stopping the water from getting in is one thing. My concern now is if there should there be that much water getting into that area. Sealing with silicone only hides the real problem.

For now I guess I will powder my baby and try to keep the carpet dry.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JTinVT
I don't have a sun roof. It seems to leak only when driven. I have had a hose running on it for quite a while. I also sprayed in the wheel well. I think it must come in primarily when the car is driven. I am going to do the baby powder or maybe by a can of spray foot powder.

Stopping the water from getting in is one thing. My concern now is if there should there be that much water getting into that area. Sealing with silicone only hides the real problem.

For now I guess I will powder my baby and try to keep the carpet dry.
Yeah give it a try - and best of luck. Never thought of the spray foot powder - might work well. As long as it doesn't leave the car smelling of "FEET"?????