Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Water Leak on Passenger Side When Raining

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Pretty sure you need to clean that flour all out of there , cause RTV sealant of butyl sealant will not stick to it.
I suggest a product made for sealing windshields, anything that dries hard won’t flex and could crack your windshield.

PRO FORM - Products

ask for a similar product at your local parts palace, or stop by any windshield auto glass shop.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Pretty sure you need to clean that flour all out of there , cause RTV sealant of butyl sealant will not stick to it.
I suggest a product made for sealing windshields, anything that dries hard won’t flex and could crack your windshield.

PRO FORM - Products

ask for a similar product at your local parts palace, or stop by any windshield auto glass shop.

Thanks fo rthe link! I only used the flour on the door seals so none was near the windshield.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Good just my OCD kicking in. Are you gonna seal it up or call in the glass guy?
Old 05-01-2020, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Good just my OCD kicking in. Are you gonna seal it up or call in the glass guy?
I haven't decided yet. I'm not sure if this would be covered as a windshield repair by insurance. I guess maybe I should get an estimate on the charge before I make up my mind. It seems easy enough to do but it is also a safety issue.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:17 PM
Administrator

My next line of thought, as it is a safety issue, your insurance should cover it, as the windshield is a supposed to be integral to the structural integrity of the car. It isn’t bonded correctly as the water can get through the bonding adhesive.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:25 AM

UPDATE: I took off the passenger side A pillar molding and poured water on the upper corner of the windshield. I had a stream coming into the car so no doubt there is a leak there. After doing some research on glass companies near me I called up Henderson Glass and described my problem. She said it was unlikely to have a leak in that area and I probably had another problem like rust. Nope no rust. Today I took it in and pointed out the area where I was seeing the leak. They did their thing on the right side of the windshield and found several spots that leaked. She said they didn't bother testing the left side. With what they found she said there is no way to fix it and I need a new windshield. I was told insurance doesn't pay for it because it's not cracked. She quoted me $200 to replace it so it will be done on Monday afternoon. When I talked to her the first time she had told me $250.

It will be nice to get the car put back together again so when we are out of lock down I can have someone ride in the car with me. Right now all the molding on that side is off and the carpeting and firewall insulation is pulled up.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:00 PM

Is anyone else here thinking what I am thinking?
Do your neighbors children play baseball??
Old 05-08-2020, 12:20 PM

When I bought mine, the windshield leaked on the first rain. Crappy installation, gap in the seal about 2" long. Used car lot I bought it from claimed that it never leaked for them. They must have never washed it.

I, too had to get a new windshield. $200 is a good price.

A shop can't guarantee their work, if they are just patching up someone else's crappy work. So they have to remove it, and start over. The chances that the windshield won't crack upon removal are very slim. So you get a new one, no more chips to look at.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Vinnybagodoughnuts
Is anyone else here thinking what I am thinking?
Do your neighbors children play baseball??
My sister told me if she still lived nearby that she would have helped me out LOL I would still have to pay the deductible so I wouldn't save much if at all.

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
I, too had to get a new windshield. $200 is a good price.
A shop can't guarantee their work, if they are just patching up someone else's crappy work. So they have to remove it, and start over. The chances that the windshield won't crack upon removal are very slim. So you get a new one, no more chips to look at.
I figured $200 was a good price so I just told her to go ahead and get one in. I was prepared to find out that I needed a new windshield and that they couldn't/wouldn't just repair the leak for the reason you mentioned. What I wasn't prepared for was the number of leaks they found. It must have been a really, really crappy install. It was done before I bought the car so I have no idea who did it.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the follow up, a new windshield with the tint band , sunny days , and yeah, lock down, well when that’s over, see the road better!!

Quick Reply: Water Leak on Passenger Side When Raining