Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Water leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member

Not sure exactly about the rear drains.
You could pour a little water in those and see where it comes out from.
Then you could take some pictures for this forum.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:24 PM

It rained pretty hard today, and no noticeable leaks. I think the chance of the rear left window button getting bumped unknowingly is the true culprit. Wife swears no, but that is the only reason I can bring for the seat being as wet as she claimed at the time. Now that everything is dry, and it has rained hard, and we've driven around in it, it seems the last logic point.

If I find a day where it is not rainy, I might make the effort to snag a picture of the rearward drain holes....although they are quite hidden without dismantling things.....which I'm not keen on. I also will try to poke my fat head under the car and look for a similar drain outlet near the B pillar.

Joel
Old 11-30-2012, 01:20 AM

Just to update, there has been no sign of further ingress of moisture, and we have had some really shi((ty days of rain.

I think it's a done deal.

Thanks for all the tips.

Joel
Old 06-26-2013, 03:38 PM

I am also wondering about the rear drains. Hard to see anything back there with the sunroof blocking the view. I park my car on an incline, and the rear is lower than the front so all the water would go to the rear drains.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:54 PM

I need help! I did the butyl rubber repair (although mine seemed in good condition) and the front drain holes around my sunroof are clear. Yet, when it rains, I get water in the front compartments, especially the passenger side. I park in a driveway with the back angled down, so if there are rear drains and they are clogged, it could be the problem. But I can't see or find them.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

Lee3333. I'll bet the rear drains connect somewhere with the front ones, probably a T or Y type connector. You may have a disconnected or cracked connection. Where they would connect, not sure.
Try pulling the passenger side plastic kick panel(refer to the earlier picture in this thread). You will see the drain line where it comes down, turns and exits through the A pillar to outside. Follow it up and see if you can find where it "Y's" off.
If that doesn't work, you could pull the A pillar interior and look for the problem. Last resort will be dropping the headliner to look.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look there and see what I find. Just put all the panels back in place, too, after re-siliconing the butyl seal (which looked fine).
Old 07-05-2013, 01:39 PM

Might I suggest something to help anyone coming to this forum? After reading all 39 pages of comments again, it seems there are three types of water leaks:

HVAC drain is clogged and leaking into passenger cabin
TSB #09-01-37-002A: Front and Rear Passenger Floor Carpet Wet (Inspect White Plug in HVAC Evaporator Drain and Apply Sealer to Front of Dash Area (Nov 3, 2009)

Passenger side floor is wet / blower motor is inoperative
TSB # 07-08-57-001 (January 24, 2007)
Install New Cowl Air Inlet Butyl Patch

Leak at A Pillar on either side of windshield
(Not sure if there is a TSB for this)
The front sunroof drain holes may be clogged. Try running some weed whacker wire down the holes

Can we post something like this (and pictures with their respective issues, if possible) at the beginning of this thread? OR maybe a new (but Sticky!) thread on leaks that highlights those three?

I have experienced both the butyl patch and the clogged sunroof holes. Currently, it is Build-a-large-boat raining in the ATL and the driver's side A pillar where the headliner meets that plastic piece that houses the tweeter is soaked and dripping. And previously (in 2007) the passenger side sunroof drain hole was clogged.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:50 AM

Go right ahead and create a post, if it's good enough they might make it a sticky.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:01 PM

Since it has been raining nonstop in the ATL since 2 July, I have had a TON of water get into the cabin and have had one hell of a time finding where the leak is originating. I have narrowed it down to the front sunroof drains and track overflowing (due to a sticking drain exit).

I did run weed whacker line down both drains however they don't ever seem to come out of the drains in the door jams. It appears there is either something stuck in there (like a piece of leaf or something) or (more likely) a filter or one-way valve similar to the HVAC drain on the passenger side of the firewall.

I then put a little bit of weed whacker line in the drain exit in the door jam and it only went in a very short distance, again helping me arrive at the theory there is some sort of valve or one-way piece in the line somewhere near the drain exit.

As you can see in the picture below, this is the exit for the driver's side front sunroof drain.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/briandewitt/9233027649/
After I tried the weed whacker line, I gently rubbed the exit part of the drain in the door jam and water shot out of the drain until the sunroof track was empty. I have tried filling the sunroof track with water again and it seems I dislodged whatever was sticking.

Now for the cause. The picture below shows a gap between the top of the sunroof track plastic and the car's roof metal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/briandewitt/9235789654/

When the track fills with water, it overflows between the roof metal and the headliner. If parked with the nose of the car pointing down / on a decline, the water will run over the top of the plastic on the sides and between the headliner and the roof metal. The water will then run down the inside of the A Pillars (and sometimes pools and leaks out where the headliner meets the A pillar) which will then end up in the floor pan behind the carpets and such.

Picture below shows the water leaking where the headliner and A Pillar meet.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/briandewitt/9233150229/

Quick Reply: Water leaks?