Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

weird buzzing noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 08:30 AM

weird buzzing noise

I have a weird buzzing sound when I accelerate. it happens only in drive not neutral or park, even if I accelerate in neutral while moving. mechanic said my air intake tube collapses when it sucks in air but it looks fine. any help is appreciated. no codes or performance issues its been a month or so.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:02 AM

"Flex pipe" in the search box.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

X2 on what donbrew advised to check.

Fwiw. It's always helpful to include the year, model, engine and mileage when posting up a Problems question.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by zachrf
I have a weird buzzing sound when I accelerate. it happens only in drive not neutral or park, even if I accelerate in neutral while moving. mechanic said my air intake tube collapses when it sucks in air but it looks fine. any help is appreciated. no codes or performance issues its been a month or so.
Hey there,

I understand that you are experiencing a noise while accelerating in your vehicle. Unfortunately, I am not a technician and I'm unable to provide technical advice, but we would like to look further into your concern. Feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name if our help is needed. We look forward to hearing from you!

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-02-2014, 10:59 AM
Banned

My flex pipe wasn't exactly a buzz, more of a rattle.. But good luck.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:50 PM

Noise problem resolved ...

I have a 2010 Chevy HHR that we use as a toad. For the longest time there was a rattling sound emanating from the engine compartment. I took the car to several garages, including the local Chevrolet dealership, and no one could find the cause. The rattling occurred only during the first few minutes after a cold start. The other day I had a some routine maintenance done, including an overdue cooling system flush that included new coolant. The noise disappeared and hasn't been heard since! I'm just passing this on as a matter of information in case someone out there has a similar nagging problem.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by thomasamski
I have a 2010 Chevy HHR that we use as a toad. For the longest time there was a rattling sound emanating from the engine compartment. I took the car to several garages, including the local Chevrolet dealership, and no one could find the cause. The rattling occurred only during the first few minutes after a cold start. The other day I had a some routine maintenance done, including an overdue cooling system flush that included new coolant. The noise disappeared and hasn't been heard since! I'm just passing this on as a matter of information in case someone out there has a similar nagging problem.
Glad you were able to find a fix for your problem.

One question though. You said an "overdue cooling system flush and new coolant" ? Since GM states factory coolant is good for 5 years and 150k miles, I was wondering why you consider it overdue on a 2010 model.

Last edited by firemangeorge; 11-08-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by thomasamski
I suspect that the "rattling noise" you heard was in fact an air bubble caused by low coolant level. It is actually air rattling around in the heater core in the "waterfall".

Check your coolant level regularly, both in the bottle and under the pressure cap (when cold). I will wager $1 that you have never done either, 80% of car owners don't know they should.