Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

What with the Sheet Metal on these HHR's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:09 AM

Thus far Stitch II has one paint chip in the hood (miniscule enough that you can't see it from a distance) and one dent in the driver's rear door whose source I know (my bike fell over on it while in the garage, and the ding was caused by the end of the handlebar: no paint damage, though). My bike had also caused a ding in the left rear quarter of Stitch I, and that did have paint damage.

Want an oddball place for a dent? My wife's G6 has a dent in the driver's side C-pillar, almost right in the middle, almost perfectly horizontal. No clue where she got it.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:21 AM

I have just a small ding on the front drivers side of the hood where I believe a stone or something hit it on the hiway ( oh ya and a chip in the windshield). I also park out in the middle of nowhere usualy in a high spot of the lot if possible ( harder for stray carts to roll uphill) and it never fails I come out of the store and there is a POS parked right next to me and the lot isn't even half way full. I think they do it just to say "ha ha i parked next to you" or they just want to admire the car
Old 07-17-2007, 11:27 AM

I have a couple from parking lots but you have to expect that from a daily driver. I did get an odd one, on the hood about a quarter of the way down from the windshield on the drivers side, a large pine cone fell from a tree and dinged the hood. I saw it and believe me I heard it as well...paintles dent repair on the hood of a black vehicle and it looks spectacular...
Old 07-17-2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by scaleguy
I have a couple from parking lots but you have to expect that from a daily driver. I did get an odd one, on the hood about a quarter of the way down from the windshield on the drivers side, a large pine cone fell from a tree and dinged the hood. I saw it and believe me I heard it as well...paintles dent repair on the hood of a black vehicle and it looks spectacular...
That had to have been one HUGE pine cone!
Old 07-17-2007, 02:05 PM

Hadn't even made the first payment when my Wife came home from work with a crease along the front fender and door , about 11/12 in. from the ground. Not deep, but noticeable. They want $700.00 to fix it, so I guess it will always be there!
Old 07-17-2007, 02:21 PM

I have noticed dents on HHR's and even mentioned it here last year. I don't think it is just an HHR problem.

That being said I am EXTREMELY careful where I park. Also I dont let anyone open or close the hood or hatch, both easily dented by closing them improperly. This is how I started noticing dents in HHR's on the rear hatch on and around the beauty bar, on the hood from and extra push to get it latched ect. Now having a panel I am freaked because I am willing to bet that the glass would take a hit better than the panels on the side. I have been lucky so far but then it has only been about a month since I got it. I also have a bunch of skateboarders to deal with in front of my house too. I never park in the street!
Old 07-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Some time ago, I tried to find out the body metal thickness and rockwell. Wasn't able to. But was told, the newer cars crease and dent very easily because of the"stretch" of metal acrossed longer securing points.

The hood for example, has the outer sheet metal and also an inner shell for structural support. But notice it has no "ribs" and the inner sheet metal liner does not provide any support until in contacts the outer edges of the hood, where it is "crimped".

Maybe TomDent or other repair people can provide insight on this.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:47 PM

I really do not think that the sheet metal is any thinner than other newer cars. My Mazda sheet metal seemed very thin when I had it and it was a 2002 model Protege 5.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:53 PM

I sometimes don't want to think about my first or second dent..
Old 07-17-2007, 09:18 PM

my rear quarter on the drivers side above the wheel on the body line was dented by someone in a parking lot. Of course they didn't leave a note but they did leave a $475.00 door ding.

Quick Reply: What with the Sheet Metal on these HHR's?