Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

When was the Shifter Issue Resolved

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 05:17 AM

When was the Shifter Issue Resolved

What year did GM fix the issue with the shifter? I'm finding conflicting information that it was on the 06 model, but I now read the 07 also had it, so was it sorted out for 08 models?
Old 12-04-2014, 06:09 AM

My 2011 had a shifter issue. What exact issue do you mean? Where did you see it had been resolved?

It is a matter of solenoids getting gummed up or broken.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:04 AM
Administrator

I've got an '07 2.2 auto and never had an issue with the shifter!
GM did a redesign in '09 to a leather boot from the slider boot and added a storage pocket to the right of the stick for change or maybe sunglasses
Old 12-04-2014, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
My 2011 had a shifter issue. What exact issue do you mean? Where did you see it had been resolved?

It is a matter of solenoids getting gummed up or broken.
I did a google search and read through a few pages here, and there was plenty of discussions from the earlier years that it was an 06 problem, but there was an 07 owner who claimed to have the same issue. Unfortunately there was any update/follow up, after that post. Trouble is, the ones that had issues early, were covered under warranty. Now that most of them are out of warranty, it will be outta pocket, so upgrading to a redesigned unit would be a better choice if there is one.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:07 PM

Depends on which "problem" you have.
The shift solenoid
The brake interlock solenoid
The button rod

I know about all of those from researching on this forum, I am guessing you could find the same repair info I did. It is here.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Depends on which "problem" you have.
The shift solenoid
The brake interlock solenoid
The button rod

I know about all of those from researching on this forum, I am guessing you could find the same repair info I did. It is here.
I have all of the above, I figured rather then waste time fixing it, I'd just replace the shifter assembly with a revised one, if there was. I did find one local to me in the classifieds here, in working order, so I'll got that route. The other benefit will be once I have one out, and a working one in hand, I'll be able to see if I can improve on the design. this will hlep to repair the shifter in my other HHR, that also has the same issues.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by taz3
I have all of the above, I figured rather then waste time fixing it, I'd just replace the shifter assembly with a revised one, if there was. I did find one local to me in the classifieds here, in working order, so I'll got that route. The other benefit will be once I have one out, and a working one in hand, I'll be able to see if I can improve on the design. this will hlep to repair the shifter in my other HHR, that also has the same issues.
If you have "all of the above", I would be inclined to think it's just dirty and/or mucked up.(i.e. maybe someone spilled a drink around the shifter way back when)

I would 1st try pulling it out, cleaning it and re-lubing.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:36 PM

New shifter will not fix brake interlock solenoid. The ignition recall may fix the key interlock that I forgot to list.

But, OK. Nobody here has been, there done that. (sarcasm again)

In other words; why not just find the problem? There are pictures of the shifter solenoid that probably needs a spritz of WD40. There is a thread about the button and the Dorman repair part number is around somewhere. &etc &etc &etc....

So, to sum up: your brake interlock relay does not work, your key interlock switch does not work, your shifter solenoid does not work and the button rod is broken. Strange string of coincidences.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:48 PM

Wow, never had a problem in the last 6 years.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:42 AM
Deceased

The only shifter problem I've had was a reluctance to come out of Park in cold weather, it was easily rectified by careful cleaning and re-lubrication of the affected shifters.

The triple digit Southern summers had dried up the lube applied by GM on my '06 and '07's.

Quick Reply: When was the Shifter Issue Resolved