Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Whining noise when a/c compressor is on

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:11 PM

Whining noise when a/c compressor is on

I noticed that when I am acclerating with the air conditioning on that i got a whining like noise that is very very annoying. I took it to the dealer and they said that the evaporator tube and condensor needs replacing because they are vibrating? To replace it, it cost $500! I told them no because usually they charge high labor cost. But when i got home I searched on the internet and the condensor cost $299 but i was wondering if there is a condensor hose and an evaporator hose? Because I don't think the condensor itself is bad.
Anyone know? Do anyone think I should just take it back and let them fix it or??

BTW, He said that it wouldn't cause any harm to the car it would just be noisy. Is that true?
Old 08-15-2009, 11:01 AM

An occasional whine when the A/C is on is actually fairly common with the Ecotec engines. Mine usually does it when the humidity is fairly high. It seems to just be an annoyance issue. I've had several GM techs tell me that it's not serious. They can fix it if it really bothers me, but it's not hurting anything just to leave it.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:16 PM

Well I live here in Texas and the humitity is always high and it is starting to get really annoying to me.
But I am going to make some calls witht the extened warrenty I have because the dealership said that the warrenty doesn't cover it but on the paper it says it covers it.
I think they are just trying to get over on me.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:52 PM

Yeah, you might want to check with other dealerships. That one seems like he's trying to avoid warranty work.