Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Why not buy a code reader?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Moved these posts from another thread. Good information but it was going off topic to the thread.
Quick note about code readers, As Time goe's on Tech's up Grade there code readers & many sell there old one's on eBay & they go for big saving, if you see one that interest you type the mod # into the Web & see if it's what you need, alot of the older high-end scanners can be plugged into your computor for a library on of information of the problem.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:52 PM

When I got my Trifecta tune I bought the cable instead of renting one.... Trifecta has that capability to read and clear codes. My code reader is my laptop.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by the_shmoo
What do you think of this unit , it also includes an ABS reader.
Check it out, and let us know. Thanx
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...T|GRP2018_____
I sell Actron where I work and while they are nice units their support sucks.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by SS Panel
Quick note about code readers, As Time goe's on Tech's up Grade there code readers & many sell there old one's on eBay & they go for big saving, if you see one that interest you type the mod # into the Web & see if it's what you need, alot of the older high-end scanners can be plugged into your computor for a library on of information of the problem.
I stated this earlier but you don't need to get a older high end unit many of the lower end new ones will also update anymore. Just don't go too cheap.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:07 PM

If you need to read code frequently, you can use a purchased code reader. The only time I have had any code with the HHR was when the battery died.

With my Fiero I can pull codes using a paperclip. Simpler times.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:25 PM

I have 5 cars but only two of them have ODBII diagnostics. I actually have a Ford EEC-IV/MCU code reader for my 1990 Ranger though you can also pull codes on that one with a paper clip. However, I am, reluctantly, the family mechanic. I've worked on no less than 9 or 10 vehicles within the last year belonging to my son, grandson, niece, nephew, brother, sister, cousin, daughter in law, son in law, etc. I need a code reader..........
Old 12-14-2011, 08:47 PM

Reason not to:
A. Advance/Zone most others will read for free.
B. They are dangerous in the wrong hands, the same reason doctors usually won't let you look at your own reports. The results need to be interpreted by a competent person.

If you realize that you are only getting raw data that needs further analysis, there is no problem. Just, if you think that code Pxxxx means "blah,blah" because that is what the scanner says, you are probably wrong. You need to understand that the P code only gives a starting point in a diagnoses tree, it is not intended to give a specific fault point.

The Dealership Shops love it when a customer comes in "with all the answers", that gives them an excuse to bill you a couple extra hours for chasing ghosts.

But, if you understand that the tool is really a basic tool, you should own one. I have been waiting for the right sale myself.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
If you need to read code frequently, you can use a purchased code reader. The only time I have had any code with the HHR was when the battery died.

With my Fiero I can pull codes using a paperclip. Simpler times.
I know what you mean as I have done this for year. But it just does not look good to see someone fixing a Fiero with a a paper clip. Next time just say Cavalier.

We have enough monkeys in our backs as Fiero owners. Time to do our own marketing. In a Fiero the clip becomes a code reading key.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:41 AM

I was checking on Amazon found one I wanted printed the model and price went to Wal-mart they had it in stock and matched the Amazon price.