Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Won't fire after sitting in the cold

Old 01-04-2009, 12:07 AM

Gas petal is electronic...injectors are electronic..there is no live accelerator circuit. So pushing on the petal with the key off is not an issue.More then likely you had an ignition glitch with allowed the injectors to pump fuel but with no spark while cranking.And trying to restart numerous times just aggrevated the problem(more fuel and no spark) or already wet plugs).
Old 01-05-2009, 08:19 AM

WAIT FOR THE GAS PUMP....or ELSE

I had the SAME exact thing happen to me with an older Buick LeSabre.
Here's the thing:
1- Put key in ignition and turn halfway (ready lights etc should come on)
2- NEVER, NEVER (I'll repeat it again) NEVER try to start it until the
gas pump stops 'whirring'. In cold (and yes sometimes even in DAMP wheather) if you turn the key ALL the way before the gas pump does its thing, it won't start and the next time you try to start it, it will flood the engine seriously.
3- If you make the mistake of hitting start too soon, then put the ignition to off and wait about 10 - 15 minutes. DO NOT TRY A SECOND TIME because
that's when things really screw up (gas in oil, wet plugs, etc etc)
4- After a while, try again (and don't touch the gas pedal). I know , I know, some auto club towing guys will actually FLOOR the gas pedal and hold it there while they try to start it. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't and it then SERIOUSLY floods the engine (gas in oil etc etc).

On the good side, the HHR (my 2008 LS) has a LOUD whirring gas pump compared to most other cars, so it's easy to hear.

Happy new year and pleasant driving ;-)
Old 01-05-2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Overload
I had the SAME exact thing happen to me with an older Buick LeSabre.
Here's the thing:
1- Put key in ignition and turn halfway (ready lights etc should come on)
2- NEVER, NEVER (I'll repeat it again) NEVER try to start it until the
gas pump stops 'whirring'. In cold (and yes sometimes even in DAMP wheather) if you turn the key ALL the way before the gas pump does its thing, it won't start and the next time you try to start it, it will flood the engine seriously.
3- If you make the mistake of hitting start too soon, then put the ignition to off and wait about 10 - 15 minutes. DO NOT TRY A SECOND TIME because
that's when things really screw up (gas in oil, wet plugs, etc etc)
4- After a while, try again (and don't touch the gas pedal). I know , I know, some auto club towing guys will actually FLOOR the gas pedal and hold it there while they try to start it. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't and it then SERIOUSLY floods the engine (gas in oil etc etc).

On the good side, the HHR (my 2008 LS) has a LOUD whirring gas pump compared to most other cars, so it's easy to hear.

Happy new year and pleasant driving ;-)
Thanks...that could've been the issue. I'm thinking on the one cold night it was left out, the fuel pump froze up/slowed up a little bit, and when trying to start it up like normal the next day (without a halfway turn of the key first), I mucked it up right there.

As I said, I started listening for the fuel pump after coming on here (and after a few more failed attempts), as I got the car inside and warmer and I heard it (not an extended or loud whirring, but it was there) before trying to start, but by then it was likely too late and already flooded.

Will keep that in mind the next time its gets -25C or colder and its left out like that.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:56 PM

Hey guys you might have had some bad gas as well.Do you always get your gas at the same place.That has been an issue around here for a while.If its a little bad it will make it that much harder to start when its cold.I have heard of a couple of guys with dynos that have had to pump out cars tanks and replace the gas cause it so bad they cant tune the car.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by scrambler
Hey guys you might have had some bad gas as well.Do you always get your gas at the same place.That has been an issue around here for a while.If its a little bad it will make it that much harder to start when its cold.I have heard of a couple of guys with dynos that have had to pump out cars tanks and replace the gas cause it so bad they cant tune the car.
Usually one of two places I fill on (91 rated) Premium...Shell (V-Power) and the odd time a Safeway gas bar. No problems in the first week of the cold snap leading up to that (or the fits 2/3 of the tank that had been used)...just the one night wher it was outside and 10-15 degrees colder than it was used to.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:32 PM

Frozen gas line

I had same problem this past weekend while in Colorado. Minus 20 degrees resulted in same problem you described. When it did finally start the engine light and T/C lights both remained on. Need to know if anyone knows how to reset the computers, or do I need to take it in?