Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Anyone Auto-x or Trackday?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 06:13 PM

Track? Is this road course? I have some ideas, but I'd like to know where you are going first.

I autocrossed the SS a couple times stock and it was a pig - and I was a champ with a 2.5L NA car. Turbo lag was a birch for my pre-learned style...

Autocross ideas are gonna be about making it rotate better, and respond faster. Road course? You are on track with better brakes for heat tolerance. No matter what, your exhaust needs to be loud enough for the driver to HEAR it with a helmet.

Did you leave GM? The trip back to TX makes me question. NP if you want to PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:31 PM
Administrator

That aluminum rad from Wizard will help cool the engine,

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-...install-61428/
Old 02-26-2019, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Front brakes if you are running 18” rims

Brembo’s

https://zzperformance.com/products/1...rembo-calipers

But go big or go home is my moto.
https://zzperformance.com/products/z...ront-brake-kit
Old 02-26-2019, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
Track? Is this road course? I have some ideas, but I'd like to know where you are going first.

I autocrossed the SS a couple times stock and it was a pig - and I was a champ with a 2.5L NA car. Turbo lag was a birch for my pre-learned style...

Autocross ideas are gonna be about making it rotate better, and respond faster. Road course? You are on track with better brakes for heat tolerance. No matter what, your exhaust needs to be loud enough for the driver to HEAR it with a helmet.

Did you leave GM? The trip back to TX makes me question. NP if you want to PM.
Yep! I left in September. I left before the hatchet men came around, though i am pretty sure my job would have been safe. Needed to come home and be near family at this time, so had to sacrifice the job.

This will be road course. I have tons of seat time in the Z/28, waterford hills/gingerman in Michigan, I am only doing the HHR for funsies/see how long it lasts/I actually enjoy driving it fast. I believe I managed to find some good pads, finally, instead of burning through OTC pads constantly. Next up will be some tires/lower COG..inevitably my engineering degree will take a hold of this project, and i'll take it too far and tweak it too much..but trying to drive the yearly cost of tracking down a bit by subbing in the HHR from time to time. :)
Old 02-27-2019, 01:15 PM

1970judge
What type of pads did you decide to go with ?
Old 02-27-2019, 06:43 PM

Looking into GLOC pads
Old 02-28-2019, 08:41 AM

Thanks
Old 03-30-2019, 11:51 PM

Well, good news is I got the car tidied up this week. Turns out the CV axle was NOT bad...the control arm bolt had backed out/not been tightened. I had the drivers control arm replaced a couple of days before my move. The shop did not tighten it well enough and it backed out/jolted out after a cross country drive and a couple of pot holes in the midwest. Got that squared away so it is drive-able now. Cleaned it up this weekend for the first time in a couple of years. Went and drove it hard on a top secret test track...as I suspected, I cooked the rotors/pad pretty easily. New track pads soon. Next up: suspension upgrades/maintenance, brake cooling ducts, and a trans cooler.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Upgrade those front rotors to SS non Brembo if you haven’t already

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brak...ard-hhr-42938/
Old 04-04-2019, 05:37 PM

Nice-looking Camaro in the corner of that one pic!!

I am a fan of white ones...

Edit: Those G-LOC pads were new to me, but that looks legit. You need to figure out where your tradeoffs are. Aggressive bite means dust. If you don't have race tires, you might not get some pads hot enough to work well much of the time, etc. Be prepared to adjust compounds...

Quick Reply: Anyone Auto-x or Trackday?