Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

anyone heard of the co2 systems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 08:54 PM

well i know cooler ait helps, as proof or rather the belief of proof i offer the old coffe can with the fuel line coiled around the inside to be filed with ice, the hi rish intakes with ice dumped under the carb, and on and on. do they work? some say yes some no... for me, i know when the temps go from 90s in the mid day to 60s over nite with lotsa moisture cars run better (btw water atomisers are supposed to be good too) personally i thought this was an interesting idea, and if you were planning a show car or similar you can plumb this with a nozel much like a nitro purge and purge your heart out...or for that matter even if you have nitrous, you can put on a show and save your spray i think its a showy idea more then anything, id have to see someone prove to me that it works with hard numbers on little slips of paper, and not on the companies web site.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:28 PM

I still stand with my opinion that for the price of a CO2 kit, and the other separate accessories, you can have a nitrous kit that will make more power and have the same/better cooling affect.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:16 AM

Doesn't the CO2 kit just increase the benefits of a cold air intake? It cools the piping so the air temp is even lower than with the cold air kit alone. It shouldn't even go into the engine or effect anything...Unless I read it wrong .
A few years ago I knew a couple mid 90's Stang owners who were relocatated the air temp sensor into or near the grille so it would read a cooler temp and inprove performance as well/i dont remember the results.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:13 AM

All the cryo unit does is push Co2 into a metal tube (which is installed inside your intake tubing), causeing it to freeze. As the air passes around or thru it, (depending on the model/brand)it drops the air temp down about 20-40 degrees(depending on outside temp), causeing a more dense intake charge. Which in turn allows more air to be put into the cylinder for combustion. Which is like a a very low end NOs system. Plus Co2 is a lot cheaper to refill than Nitrous and is leagl to have in the car hooked up. Nitrous is only allowed to be transported in a car, not hooked up. Nitrous hooked up in a car while on public roads is a street raceing felony.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:48 AM

Cooling intake air is worthwhile if the air's too hot to begin with. As mentioned above, turbo or superchargers generate heat, which should be removed, normally through an intercooler.

The Cryo system is considered somewhat of a joke among the serious F/I community. The fact that it's sold through JC Whitney pretty much says it all.

More commonly, methanol injection is used to provide supplementary intake charge cooling, as it raises octane along with the temperature drop. There are several kits available. I use the Devilsown kit on my GTO.

One poster mentioned relocating the IAT sensor to a cooler spot. This only works if the temperature it's reading actually reflects the temperature of the air entering the engine. If the air is heated after the sensor, then the computer doesn't have the correct information to calculate ignition timing. Generally, tricking the IAT sensor is equivalent to those stupid "chips" sold on Ebay, which are nothing more than a 25 cent resistor to fool the ECM to thinking the intake air temperature is lower than it is, thus adding spark advance and "improving performance." Pretty much a good way to screw up your engine.