Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Manual VS Auto 1/4 Mile racing facts

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Just a question for you racing auto guys.

When at the track, do you use "D" or "I"....out of the hole?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:37 PM

D , brake launching at 3k
Old 06-25-2012, 09:05 PM

For the everyday driving i do on the street , I would rather be in control of the gear and RPM i'm at when i nail it and get 25-27 psi, The auto might get that right , But at 70 mph , And a down shift to third to get by someone talking on the phone , And maybe make them realize there the slowest car on the H.W. and there in the speed lane , I want to control the exact moment of extreme passing that is required. And i do it well !

Long live the stick !

Old 06-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Premium Member

Batman That's pretty good boost you are getting, I thought you only had stg-1, The auto passes dumb _______s pretty good too, left a comatose driver wondering what was that, today up in the mountains, got a chuckle out of the look he gave me.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:24 PM

Well Ive owned both so I should add sumtin here. When track tested, Auto had GMTU and drop in filter. 5sp had GMTU drop in filter, IC, and Ic pipes.

Auto: Very relaxing and somewhat luxurious with power on tap with only the push of a pedal and the occational downshifting to L or I position. Better mpg just because of the consistency of the tranny. Auto drivetrains just feel more connected to the tires in general and are just plain smooth but boring at times as well.
At the track:
I could run 1/8 after 1/8 within .2 seconds of each other all night unless torque management kicked in. Never had a problem with traction on the Michelin pilots after getting them nice and hot by roasting em in the box. Granted it only had a GMTU.

5sp: Much more fun and sporty. I love throwing gears and being in complete control of the transmission and it's engagement even though the shifter isn't the smoothest. being able to hear the BPV during each shift just gives me a hehe feeling. There are times when I wish I could just put it in drive and go without having to work the clutch and shifter, but i enjoy 5sp more often then not. Probably 70/30. O and you can rev to the moon where as the auto has a rev limiter around 4500 in N.
At the track:
The 5sp is a b**** at the track. I cannot get the 5sp to hook as easy as the auto. Launching is a PITA. As far as shifting, I consider the auto and 5sp to be on par with each other because The NLS feature works well, but I am still .2 seconds slower with the manual.

In the end I still prefer the manual over the auto.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 PM

Custom CAI , GM turbo upgrade, And some under hood air flow inprovments,
Thats it.
I will post a vid when i get a chance , since the new short block , It pretty much spins the wheels threw second gear , And the eagle gt's are toasted with 36000 miles on them , so there dam near slicks , and they still roast threw second.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 PM

In the end , XtremeSS Put's it all to rest

Old 06-25-2012, 09:55 PM

I drove over 500 miles to trade in my LT for an SS manual. I remember thinking that if I was gonna get a sports car, it's gonna be stick, it has to. But SSFan has an auto and I meet up with him all the time...I'm not tuned yet, he is. But despite this I don't think with a tune I could ever beat him. Shifting takes to many precious seconds away. I do dig the 5-speed though, I like the control I have over my car...we work together, i make her do what she does when I want her too. Still glad I drove all that way past all those other dealerships with autos, Ive never had a manual, and I'm sold, manuals are SO FUN!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:24 PM

With a proper no lift shift there is little psi drop , But is takes practice , You won't just hit it at first. Don't be afraid of SSFan , Get the GMTU and learn the car , Easy. You might not beat him at first , but if you keep trying you will.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Premium Member

I think He means I drive a little crazy, When He went for a little ride, we barley got any air, He said your gonna hit a wall..

So I ordered the Brembos just in case.

He's got the gm kit, tell him to go put it in Batman, He is thinking it won't change much.

Quick Reply: Manual VS Auto 1/4 Mile racing facts