Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

pulling e brake/parking break while driving - bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 07:18 PM

pulling e brake/parking break while driving - bad?

if so, how bad?

I've seen drift bible and I'm sure anyone who knows anything about cars has used the e brake for showing off or knows what it does (honestly, I don't as this is the first car I've ever pulled the E brake on while driving, just under an hour ago)

I didn't know that it would ACTUALLY make the rear lock up while in motion!

I guess that's how your supposed to do the trays (mcdonalds trays under rear wheels with front wheel drive vehicles)

anyways, I have no real need to use it, just wondering what will happen if I do, how bad the damage will be (other than the obvious tire wear) etc

also, any other advice on how to use it to race, do slick maneuvers, etc also appreciated.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:22 PM

if your car has drums in the rear your only engaging the shoes like normal stopping....im not sure if it does any damage to rear disc brakes. oh and to "drift" you need RWD
Old 01-21-2012, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by badassbowtie
if your car has drums in the rear your only engaging the shoes like normal stopping....im not sure if it does any damage to rear disc brakes. oh and to "drift" you need RWD
yeah I was just thinking about drifting...tokyo drift haha...pull e brake then over power it with gas right?

and yeah, got the drums in the back
Old 01-21-2012, 07:34 PM

its a lot of fun in the snow around here. no accelerating fast in such conditions
Old 01-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Deceased

What you're describing is properly called a "Scandinavian Flick", it was developed in the 60's by a Swedish rally driver named Erik Carlsson.

If properly executed it will cause the rear end of a front drive vehicle to rapidly rotate about the center axis when entering a turn, call it driver induced over-steer.

Its a maneuver that should only be used by an experienced and well trained driver on wet pavement or dirt roads due to the danger of rolling a vehicle on dry pavement.

To perform the maneuver you approach a turn, pull hard on the handbrake to momentarily lock the rear wheels while at the same time applying opposite lock to the steering wheel. If done right you'll kick the tail out nicely and come out of the turn pointed strait as an arrow in the intended direction of travel, if done wrong, you'll crash.

Now that I've explained it, don't try it yourself, you can be injured or killed.

If you want to learn how to perform complex maneuvers with a car in a controlled environment, sign up for a high performance driving school, then never...and I mean never, try them on the street.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Founding Member

I used to do it parking lots full of snow when I was a teen. Full throttle hit the e-brake cut the wheels, release it and then maybe some full throttle donuts. Oh the teen years. I still wonder how I made it this long.

I think I have more sense now. At least I hope I do.

I hit a bale of hay that came off a trailer once which took out my left front brake line. E brake stopped me fine, in a 1979 GMC pick up.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Deceased

Brad our generation is built of stouter stuff, no seat belts, no dorky bike helmets, no warning labels on everything, no airbags, and at times...no common sense. But we're still here, some in better shape than others, but still here nonetheless.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

Amen
Old 01-21-2012, 09:11 PM

843, isn't the Scandinavian Flick when you're approaching a turn, and turn your steering towards the outside of the turn momentarily to transfer your vehicle's weight in toward the turn, then quickly bring your wheels back around pointed towards the turn to rapidly "flick" your weight back outside, upsetting the initial weight transfer, and causing an exaggerated transfer, thus overpowering your rear tire's grip limit, inducing your slide or drift? what you described is more of just an e-brake slide. yank the handle, lock up the rear, kick the steering wheel over and let the tail wag a bit lol
Old 01-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Deceased

You are correct Yonash that the Scandinavian Flick is performed just that way with a rear drive vehicle and it works like a treat when you master the technique.

For front drivers the use of a quick e-brake pop along with the jab of opposite lock was how I was taught to do it many moons ago when I rallied in the SCCA.

Since front drivers have a natural tendency to plow or under-steer, the momentary locking of the rear wheels helps the car rotate in a fashion more akin to a rear driver with a rotational inertia favoring a rearward weight bias.

Its a matter of semantics I suppose, a flick in a front driver can/could/maybe be considered an e-brake slide. But I've always classed e-brake slides as a situation where you keep the rears locked throughout the maneuver and use the drive wheels to power you around like a sled.

Regardless of hair splitting definitions, Carlsson still used it to great effect flinging Mini Coopers around in the 60's.

Quick Reply: pulling e brake/parking break while driving - bad?