Site Development, Help and Announcements Site Discussions, Suggestions, and Help

Proposed "Site Access Problem" thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
I still think it's just a matter of timing...... which in this case could be milliseconds.
Tell you what next time it happens I will set up two pages and try my normal method and the link at the "exact" same time.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:59 PM

That would be interesting, but still could be off by milliseconds.......

Some of these problems are very similar to what happens when hackers do a DNS attack on a site. Also note there is always a rather high number of "guests" on the site...... also a DNS trait (DNS= denial of service) Not that somebody is doing that here, just I find it interesting.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Just got the "Internal Server Error" message several times, did some other stuff on another site & now got on here..
Old 11-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Had the Data Base and the ERROR message tonight. Even my "back door" didn't work.....that was the error message. Tried continuously for about 15 minutes....then gave up and went to Google for another back door, which worked instantaneously. First thing I check was the user count. 28 members and 0 guests.

Oh and the Internal Error message gave an explanation with a suggestion to contact tthe SERVER ADMINISTRATOR, WEBMASTER@CHEVYHHR.GMNEWSLINE.COM. Is this the Server Administrator???

All the application appear to be working with this back door link.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:41 PM

The Error message just now happened to me trying to read this thread. I hit the back button on the browser and tried again several times and it finally loaded with no problem. No other links, no back door, just back button and try again......

Any "special links" are just hitting the forum at a different time is all.

Otherwise it seemed to be running rather well today except for several very long load times randomly throughout the day.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:41 PM

I, too couldn't get on through my Yahoo site but went to Google and got on. Starting to see a trend here. What gets me is that it ran extremely well (for the most part) for three years and now, all of a sudden this. What's changed? It would sure seem that there would be quite a few "experts" in this field that could make the necessary changes/analysis. I personally know nothing of site building, but it looks like there are a few designs that you choose from when beginning to build a forum like this and it might be possible to find another "non-competing" site and ask their IT person to look at this one and see what might be going on. I guess, in other words, hire it out.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

Sindy, I thank you for your help and info.

Wonder what would happen if a great nember of members sent PM's or emails to JonnyB (as provided in his profile), explaining our concerns.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:48 PM

Okay, it's getting late here and I'm dog tired so hopefully this post isn't to error loaded but here's what I see as the problem.... (numerous problems but all coming down to the "missing admin"..... Not you, Sindy)

I've been a forum admin more times than I care to recall, and no, if it were offered I wouldn't care to be one again. I still hold that title in one place but in name only, an IT guy is handling all the work at the moment, and it is work, believe me.

Forums are nothing but software, this software needs to be upgraded/updated quite frequently for security reasons, just like Windows or Apple OS does on your home computer. Being software it's loaded with "holes" that these "14 year old wiz-bang hackers" use to cause errors, attempt to access user info, or just raise general havoc. (many of these "kids" are from other countries, China, India, Russia, Ukraine, etc. etc. and they aren't actually 14.... ) No offence to any forum members that happen to be from any of those countries, they just happen to be high on the list. Without these upgrades the forum gets easier to hack as time goes on, like trying to use the internet with Windows 98se, it's just not safe.

For some reason forums are targets for these hackers, Sindy can side with me on this because she has to pick and choose who is real and who is a "spammer" before any of us get to see new members..... From my experiance it's about 1 real person to 10-100 "bots" these days, signing up as members. Some of these, naturally, at times can slip through, play an end game around the software, get through the "holes' and damage the software causing numerous errors before they are deleted/banned. Most forum users here on ChevyHHR never see these bots here because Sindy is on top of things..... Thank you for that, Sindy!

Backup and error checking needs to be done as well on a forum, error checking is pretty much automated but an administrator needs to initiate this about once a week, if errors are found they need to be corrected or they compound. A backup should be done at the same time or in the case of a server crash the whole forum, meaning all the posts, could be lost forever. Just like what would happen if a home computer never had any maintenance done it will eventually get so buggy that nothing runs...... Many of you may be familiar with this happening, take it to the shop and the tech re-installs Windows and it runs like new again.

The problem as I see it is Sindy doesn't have the full admin capability so she can't do these things and shouldn't be expected to if she does have some of these capabilities. It's the job of the Admin, in this case the site owner jonyyB (if I have the name spelled correctly???) and he's not around from what I gather..... So who knows how long it has been since the software was upgraded, updated, error checked and repaired..... Let alone backed up. The Forum is going to start acting like a buggy old computer that won't load the word processor 9 times out of 10 tries then suddenly "there it is" but it took awhile.

[rant] About the "timing" vs "back door link" thing...... If you were to access the site through a certain link and suddenly it didn't work, it would never work again because that link is GONE. If that link does work later, or the next day, then obviously it's still there. Trying to use a different search engine to find a new link takes time, it is the time that allows you to get back in, not the new link. As I said in an earlier post, hitting the back button on your browser and then clicking the link again, (maybe having to do this routine several times) will get you there eventually and that is the SAME LINK.... but at a different time. [/rant]

Sorry for the long winded post, now I'm going to bed.

*steps off soap box*
Old 11-04-2011, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
[rant] About the "timing" vs "back door link" thing...... If you were to access the site through a certain link and suddenly it didn't work, it would never work again because that link is GONE. If that link does work later, or the next day, then obviously it's still there. Trying to use a different search engine to find a new link takes time, it is the time that allows you to get back in, not the new link. As I said in an earlier post, hitting the back button on your browser and then clicking the link again, (maybe having to do this routine several times) will get you there eventually and that is the SAME LINK.... but at a different time. [/rant]

Sorry for the long winded post, now I'm going to bed.

*steps off soap box*
I understand what you are repeating over and over again but all I know is that for an entire day I tried to log in and could not get in and that WAS with trying to hit the back button many of the attemps. At one point I was trying every few mins for close to an hour as I visited other sites and such with no such luck. So far every time I have this issue I can easily use the link that 843de posted and get right in. Now that does not mean that the site does not stall out on me once I get in but that link has gotten me in each time I have used it. Of coarse I have only tried it roughly 5 times and today I have not had any issues so time will have to tell ya or nay.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:14 AM
Founding Member

Just a reminder to keep this thread on topic. Keep Posts to issues you may have with accessing the site. This will help me convey information to JonyyB accurately. And easier for him to get the info in a centralized location if/when he makes it to this thread.

Quick Reply: Proposed "Site Access Problem" thread.