SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

2008 HHR SS Brake issue/buy back

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 01:07 AM

So I posted before on this. I took my car in just to see what they could do in regaurds to the brake issue while they did the free first oil change. The checked it over and said that everything is a-ok. So I am cool with that. I usually let the car warm up for a few seconds and watch the Vac. then pull out. No big deal it is just a few seconds.

I told myself this for 5500 miles. Then the other day I was in a massive rush to take out dog to the emergency Vet! (LONG STORY) I jump in start it up and in my hurry just back out. I then go to hit the brakes and NADA!!!!! Just ABS trying to stop the car in reverse. Also rainy out that day. No brake presure + rain = not stoppin quickly. She caught and stoped befor the end of the driveway. I am just happy I was not back out of a downsloped driveway.

It is these time when there are emergencies that we all might forget/not want to wait for the Vac. That is the real point of this brake issue! It is not that people have no patience. It is a huge SAFETY issue.

Me personally, I love my SS and would not want a buy back unless they would give me a 5 speed :) , but I truely understand the concern. I myself will just try to hit the remote start while running to the car.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by HHR 'Black Death'
So I posted before on this. I took my car in just to see what they could do in regaurds to the brake issue while they did the free first oil change. The checked it over and said that everything is a-ok. So I am cool with that. I usually let the car warm up for a few seconds and watch the Vac. then pull out. No big deal it is just a few seconds.

I told myself this for 5500 miles. Then the other day I was in a massive rush to take out dog to the emergency Vet! (LONG STORY) I jump in start it up and in my hurry just back out. I then go to hit the brakes and NADA!!!!! Just ABS trying to stop the car in reverse. Also rainy out that day. No brake presure + rain = not stoppin quickly. She caught and stoped befor the end of the driveway. I am just happy I was not back out of a downsloped driveway.

It is these time when there are emergencies that we all might forget/not want to wait for the Vac. That is the real point of this brake issue! It is not that people have no patience. It is a huge SAFETY issue.

Me personally, I love my SS and would not want a buy back unless they would give me a 5 speed :) , but I truely understand the concern. I myself will just try to hit the remote start while running to the car.
You are correct. That is the issue. If there is some kind of emergency, or I just forget to hit the remote start before I leave for work, and a neighborhood kid jumps out in front of me, or a dog, or a car, there is no way I would be able to stop in time. And again, there would be some liability on GM's part, but a good portion goes to the owner for knowingly operating a vehicle that has brake issues. And GM has the lawyers to get that pinned on the customer.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by XXL
You know the sales pitch they used to get you to buy the car? They're still selling you.
NO pitch was used on me to buy the car, I knew what I wanted and got a great deal.

Hudiburg is one of the largest dealerships in Oklahoma compared to Irwins being a small town small sales dealership.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:41 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by 7m34life
NO pitch was used on me to buy the car, I knew what I wanted and got a great deal.

Hudiburg is one of the largest dealerships in Oklahoma compared to Irwins being a small town small sales dealership.
You definitely missed the point... that is, that the dealership has some kind of special clout with GM. World's largest Chevy dealer wishes he had clout with GM.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:04 PM

Just got an update today, and wanted to share it with you all. The district service manager has gotten in touch with an engineer at a local plant (Wentzville, MO) who is what is called a product engineer, and he is supposedly working directly on the brackets for the vacuum canister/pump fix for the car. As soon as I get a timeline on when the brackets/retrofit will be available, I will let you all know. As of now, they have no timeline, so I may be looking at a buy back.
All for now
Dave
Old 10-14-2008, 06:50 PM

My parents are currently in the process of doing the Lemon Law on their 2008 HHR SS. It has the "Brick For A Brake Peddle" problem. They have taken to the deal four or five times. Today they dropped it off for a GM rep. to test drive it. Her final decision was, and I quote, "We can not fix it."

I must add that this forum was very beneficial to their quest for a solution, be it a fix to the problem or another vehicle.

Thank you, I will you posted!
Old 10-15-2008, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by mynameiswazy
Just got an update today, and wanted to share it with you all. The district service manager has gotten in touch with an engineer at a local plant (Wentzville, MO) who is what is called a product engineer, and he is supposedly working directly on the brackets for the vacuum canister/pump fix for the car. As soon as I get a timeline on when the brackets/retrofit will be available, I will let you all know. As of now, they have no timeline, so I may be looking at a buy back.
All for now
Dave
Any updates on this??
Old 11-02-2008, 02:37 PM

Bump.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:09 AM

I can't believe GM would open the can of worms by buying back someone's SS. They've got to offer the brake fix first.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:46 PM

They can not fix it. That was what came from the mouth of the GM rep that came to look at my parent's SS.

Quick Reply: 2008 HHR SS Brake issue/buy back