SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Bad external temp/gas gauges

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:23 AM

Bad external temp/gas gauges

I've had my Jezzie in to the dealer at least 3 times for both problems, and still have no resolution. The ext temp gauge reads as low as -11, not correcting itself to the true 32 degrees until I've sustained 55 mph+ for more than 20 minutes. The gas level misreads which correlates with how much gas the car thinks I have and will read low fuel even with a 1/4 of a tank. Had to force pull out of the Chevy help line what they do if the techs can't fix it. She finally said that an engineer would have to come out and look at it, but it had to be shown at the dealer. Well, proved it, now waiting. Disappointed in Chevy and the salaried 1/2 mill per year engineers who just print out memos and are incapable of fixing the problem.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:44 AM
Deceased

First off, welcome to the forum! It sounds like you have two problems happening at once. The external temp sensor which is located behind the right front bumper can go goofy and short to ground which gives you no reading at all. Or it can do the opposite and hang on one temp for an extended time. The fuel gauge issue sounds like the sender in the tank may be to blame, either failing or sticking and giving a false reading to the BCM and then the cluster. Even though the engineers at GM can be less than smart at times, I think this might be more accurately laid at the feet of the dealer's service department. Let us know how you make out with this, and what they eventually find.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:40 PM

I've had the outside temp gauge hang at the same temp from time to time, but never had the fuel gauge issue. My wife's biggest gripe is that the outside temp gauge does not show all the time on the rearview mirror, like in our Avalanche.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:45 PM

Might want to do a search. There is a recent thread detailing the proper operation of the Outside Temp Gauge. What you describe sounds like it may be proper operation.

Edit: See https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...highlight=temp

Last edited by Sno White; 01-25-2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 02-08-2011, 12:21 PM

Thumbs down No thanks

If proper operation is a sustained -13 degrees with a 36 deg outside temp, then you should probably work as a tech for GM. I am still in the process of getting GM to work on this issue. I will post the outcome.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:05 PM

As I said in the other thread, that is my take on how the temp sensor and BCM work together to display the temperature on the DIC. Is it ideal – NO! In my driving I don’t ever see negative temps, the lowest I believe I have seen is 22 deg F, only 10 degrees below freezing.

You may have unrealistic expectations of technology. I’m actually amused whenever I see the “ICE POSSIBLE” display!

When I flew, icing was of great concern. It is the range of temperatures that icing becomes a possibility that is important, not the actual temperature once the ambient strays from that range.

Good luck on your quest to have GM engineer new software for a soon to be discontinued low end product. Remember lawsuits run this country.

Of course you may just have a problem with the sensor – you don’t say if your dealer has replaced it yet. If not, many would say find another dealer, but you maybe located in a sparsely populated area like me and have no real choice.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:57 AM

The BCM was finally replaced after 4+ years and 3 dealerships, and my perseverance.
I have an expectation that engineers do their job in acknowledging they didn't get it right, and let the dealerships and customers know. Such arrogance is so costly to the consumer. The recalls in the news by GM is a blazing example of the cost.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member

Sorry - I don't see the correlation between the issues you encountered and the resolution being related to failure by the engineers. Wasn't the problem caused by the BCM failing?
Old 04-09-2014, 01:54 PM

Sound like the actual problem was getting the Service Department to read the TSB on the subject. Not the first time that's been a problem.

I handed a TSB complete with the GM seal on it to the SA, He asked if I got it from the internet, I said yes, from the GM website. He threw it into the trash, and said "looking for TSBs ain't my job".
A couple of visits later, the Service Mgr. became involved and actually scanned the TSB and misquoted it to the SA, and told him to take care of it. The TSB once again went to the trash bin.

My problem did get resolved, on that (the third visit) and I was happy.