SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Bad news in the suspension department

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 05:16 PM

anyone running the TTR setup?
Old 12-17-2011, 05:49 PM

If you are going to mail order anyway and price is crucial, give eBay a try. The Monroe problem seems to have been resolved, since they found out that HHR is not exactly the same as Cobalt, just make sure the parts catalog has different numbers for HHR & Cobalt. Seems to be the number of coils is the visible difference, so you can compare. You should be able to get a pair for around $225 shipped, and install is incredibly simple, you need a torque wrench, and jack stands and jack, a drift and hammer and a socket set. 30 min. a side including jacking it up and getting a brew or 2.

And, "buried in mud" should not have trashed the struts, and wild vibration is not a main symptom of bad struts. I'd go with wheel balance, could throw a weight, or the tire may have spun on the wheel. But, axles or hubs also in the mix.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Wessley
anyone running the TTR setup?
what setup?
Old 12-18-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by ATLsilverSS
what setup?
i seen in a forum on here they sell front struts and rear. the fronts where under $400. i'll search it again in the morning and see if i can find a part number
Old 12-18-2011, 08:59 PM

nevermind. this was the site but i'm not sure this is what i'm looking for

http://www.turbotechracing.com/produ...5&idcategory=0
Old 12-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Former Sponsor

^ Those are awesome struts (top of the line)
Old 12-18-2011, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by TurboTechRacing
^ Those are awesome struts (top of the line)

i've so many questions on them though. i'm a little confused on the "strut inserts" part. also will they work for my ss? and what are the "modifications" i'll have to make? i won't mess with struts but how many hours can i expect my mechanic to take on them?
Old 12-18-2011, 11:19 PM

also, for an update. my mom's neighbor's dad owns a garage in town and he had me drop off the car today. he told me my front struts are shot and a cv joint. my days keep getting better. on the bright side however his son told me his dad would only charge $40 an hour for anything my family needs.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Inserts are easy to install... Comes with instructions, if you have a mechanic on hand (as it sounds like you do) he wont have a bit of problem.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:38 AM

Aaron at TTR can help you with this stuff, no problem.... They satnd behind the products they sell, and is not afraid of dropping a product line to protect itself and its customers from problems. TTR good people!

That being said, save your pennies and get coil-overs, Aaron will sell you those as well.

For the time being, if your looking for marked improvment for "some"investment" ..... Get new FE5 shocks and order a set of Pedders Lowering Springs from TTR. It will drop the car a little over an 1" and improve your tuned supension quite a bit, just from lowering the center of gravity.

Send Moonsign an email, he regularlly enters SCCA time trials, and swears by the added performance of just having his car lowered.

The other far out option, is to bag the car..... performance goes right out the window, but damn sure looks good sitting on the ground. IMO the HHR looks best slammed to the ground in high grass, with about 2" of tire tucked under the fender. Top fuel HHR anyone?

Quick Reply: Bad news in the suspension department