SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Bad news in the suspension department

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 01:44 AM

Bad news in the suspension department

So last night my car gets buried in the mud on my road. had to wait till morning and get some friends to help me push it out since we couldnt find a place to hook a truck to it safely. Well got it out, cleaned it up and i was unable to go over 45mph without the car wanting to shake itself apart. i took it to my local NTB and they told me both front struts are shot. passenger had lost all oil and driver side was leaking badly and wouldnt make it back home without doing the same. they wanted to charge me $210.00 per stut (monroe struts) and that did not include tax or the 3 hours of labor to install. i told them i'll take my chances on the ride home... now, i've done some research on here and it seems people have not been having luck with monroe struts, so my question to you guys is what is the best bang for my buck? my car is not drivable and as much as i would like to go with something wild it's just not in the budget right now. i'd like to keep this project under $400 and that will have to include installation. all your input would be much appreciated. i need to get her back on the road a.s.a.p. thanks guys!
Old 12-17-2011, 01:58 AM
Deceased

OK, so you got stuck in the mud and you had a wicked shaking going on after you got it out/unstuck....you had mud caked in the rims, that will shake your brains out.

What NTB told you smacks of utter BS, I can't see the struts "losing their oil" unless you absolutely buried the front end in a ditch at a pretty good clip thereby damaging the struts. Take it to a coin op car wash and blast the mud out of the rims and front suspension, then take it to someplace else and have it checked out. Most places do it for free, and if they'll allow it, go out with the tech and look for yourself.

If the struts are well and truly blown, its hard to go wrong with KYB struts. The issue with Monroe struts is limited to the "Quick Struts" which are complete units including the springs...the springs that Monroe used/uses are wrong for the HHR. The non Quick Strut Monroe's are just fine.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:01 AM

Agree...mud didnt blow your struts...if they were leaking it was prior to and not during...the mud caused the shaking..bet if you wash it, it will return to as before condition...as for struts, they probably were going away gradually and you never noticed..or...said mechanic was looking for a quick buck
KYBs are a good choice
Old 12-17-2011, 02:09 AM

i most definitely prayed for that being the issue and took it to the car wash immediately after it started. i do hear/feel a rattle on the passenger side now though. and please believe me. when i say buried, i mean buried
Old 12-17-2011, 02:23 AM
Deceased

Well depending on how it came to be buried in the mud, you might have chucked a balance weight on that corner, or you might have a bent rim.

The most important thing it to have it checked out by someone else, NTB has a awful reputation for screwing people over, so its in your best interest to get a second opinion.

You can always move the right front to the right rear and see if the vibration/rattle follows the wheel, or if it continues on the right front corner.
Old 12-17-2011, 02:32 AM

there was no hard impact. i wouldnt have got hung up if i where traveling faster. probably doing 10mph or less. and at first it wasn't so bad. but i was in the middle of no where on a mud road and didnt want to walk home, so i spun them and rocked the car like hell trying to break free. i'll take it to another garage soon, i have to find a good one first. i just moved here and know no one
Old 12-17-2011, 07:15 AM
Deceased

Ah, didn't mean to suggest that you crashed it in any way, just trying to figure out how getting bogged down in the mud caused your problems.

You said you tried to rock it out, that may be the root of the trouble you now have. I'm thinking possible damage to the CV joint on that corner, or the hub bearings, even the tire.

When you try to rock out of mud/snow, its really easy to damage something when the wheel starts spinning at high speeds. When the speedometer reads say 30mph and one wheel is spinning free, the spinning wheel is actually doing 60 mph, things can break in that situation.

Last edited by 843de; 12-17-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:56 AM

if they are in fact blown.....do not get kyb's they are a downgrade to the ss's fe5 suspension. contact crate engine depot for a good deal on the oem's
Old 12-17-2011, 09:23 AM

OEM's FE5's or upgrade to coil-overs. Nobody makes a better shock for the SS than the FE5, and coil-overs are the only real upgrade and will give you more lateral grip than a station wagon needs. Look up youtube video of HHR SS skid pad test with coil-overs. Wicked grip!
Old 12-17-2011, 05:13 PM

i would love to do coil overs, but sadly, i can't afford them. thanks for the input guys. i'll contact crateenginedepot today/tomorrow

Quick Reply: Bad news in the suspension department