SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Bad news in the suspension department

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 11:33 PM

you guys are great. thanks for all the feed back. i'll be making an order through TTR soon, though shortly after the new year, not sure if to go with the full set-up through them or just the springs with some new fe5 struts. any other advice on the cv joint?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:14 PM

the cv joint is a powertrain part & is covered by GM for 5 years & 100,000 miles under their powertrain warranty. just dont tell them you got the car stuck in the mud. just bring the car in to the chevy dealer & complain of a vibration while driving. say nothing else & make sure all evidence of mud is cleaned from under the car.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by andyb
the cv joint is a powertrain part & is covered by GM for 5 years & 100,000 miles under their powertrain warranty. just dont tell them you got the car stuck in the mud. just bring the car in to the chevy dealer & complain of a vibration while driving. say nothing else & make sure all evidence of mud is cleaned from under the car.
will they still back the warranty with my suspension techniques sway bars on it? the bars have "Suspension Techniques" visibly written on them
Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 AM

Aftermarket sway bars can't cause a CV joint failure. They might comment on them, but they can't deny warranty work as a result. I'm not as sure they are covered though. They are drivetrain parts, and not powertrain parts. As such, they are covered by the bumper-to-bumper warranty, which is 3/36, and not 5/100. I'd see what they say. If they aren't covered, and the dealer wants a bundle of $$$, you can then decide to take it some place else, DIY, or pay them.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:35 PM

anything that makes the car move is covered by the 5-100 warranty.
engine, trans & drive axle.
this is taken from chevy's website
Drive Systems
All internally lubricated parts, final-drive housings, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, propeller shafts and universal joints. All mounts, supports, seals and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the drive axle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the drive axle (i.e., front differential actuator, etc). Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are all wheel bearings, drive wheel front and rear hub bearings, locking hubs, drive system cooling, lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors related to drive systems as well as any drive system control module and/or module programming.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:17 PM

thanks guys. i'm going to take it into the dealership then the first day i'm off after christmas.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:41 AM

I got some snow packed in a rim last year whipping some 360s and it vibrated the death out of the front end. I lost the oil on both front struts, the stockers are known to have this problem (I had a set swapped @12,000 miles under warranty). I ended up buying stock fronts and rears this last summer from Crate Engine Depot for $380.00. They have FE5 Cobalt and FE5 HHR and some folks have used the Cobalt parts but I opted for the replacement ones and no issues. Good luck
Old 12-29-2011, 01:20 AM

Update on the suspension progress

so i had made an appointment for my ss for yesterday morning and had them look for what was causing the vibration and also look at the turbo since i had noticed some oil on the outside of it the last time i had it changed. the nice gentlemen at my local chevy dealership told me they'd do a 21 point inspection free of charge. what this actually consists of i don't know but here is what they found...

1. bad cv joint (cause of vibration)= covered under warranty
2.bad seal in turbo (entire turbo to be replaced)=covered under warranty
3.something about a "companion" in the intercooler or intercooler piping? (if someone could explain this i'd appreciate it)= also covered under warranty
4. struts are fine
5. need rear brake pads soon=not covered (obviously). i told them i'd do that one myslf

they told me the parts should be in-in the next day or two and i should have my car back by the weekend. i asked them to changed the oil filter and oil while they had it (afraid they might put the old back in after the turbo swap) so they told me that would be the only thing i'd be charged for. all in all i'm excited that this is not going to cost me anything the repair, and i want to thank everyone here who help me. cheers
Old 12-29-2011, 07:27 AM

Wessley,

I'm happy to hear your problems are being addressed! Let us know how everything goes at the dealership, thank you!

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service

Originally Posted by Wessley
so i had made an appointment for my ss for yesterday morning and had them look for what was causing the vibration and also look at the turbo since i had noticed some oil on the outside of it the last time i had it changed. the nice gentlemen at my local chevy dealership told me they'd do a 21 point inspection free of charge. what this actually consists of i don't know but here is what they found...

1. bad cv joint (cause of vibration)= covered under warranty
2.bad seal in turbo (entire turbo to be replaced)=covered under warranty
3.something about a "companion" in the intercooler or intercooler piping? (if someone could explain this i'd appreciate it)= also covered under warranty
4. struts are fine
5. need rear brake pads soon=not covered (obviously). i told them i'd do that one myslf

they told me the parts should be in-in the next day or two and i should have my car back by the weekend. i asked them to changed the oil filter and oil while they had it (afraid they might put the old back in after the turbo swap) so they told me that would be the only thing i'd be charged for. all in all i'm excited that this is not going to cost me anything the repair, and i want to thank everyone here who help me. cheers
Old 01-04-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
OEM's FE5's or upgrade to coil-overs. Nobody makes a better shock for the SS than the FE5, and coil-overs are the only real upgrade and will give you more lateral grip than a station wagon needs. Look up youtube video of HHR SS skid pad test with coil-overs. Wicked grip!
I'm on those coilovers as seen in vid .