SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Bolt on Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
ATL, let me know what tires you go with. I put new shoes on in Feb. and need new ones already! and I'm only pushing around 325, then again.... I leave a ton of rubber every friday at the track.

Mickey T's on 16's are in my future, as they just clear the brakes!
for street tires im going with nitto 555's, for the strip im going to run 16" slicks.

well this spring i am either doing wheels/tires or a turbo kit. if i elect to do the turbo kit now i will eventually do wheels/tires......and may do a track oriented tire like 555r's or re11's...something of that nature....and use my stockers for a commuting type of wheel tire setup. in this case i will probably put regular 555's on the stock wheels. then again i may just use the new wheels and tires for my every day setup.

either way i will also have a dedicated strip setup most likely 16" slicks or mickey t et street radials

the mickey t radials.....if that's what you are referring to....i hear are the stickiest of the sticky but don't have much life. i also hear the hoosier dot drag radials are really good.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:12 AM

I need good traction with the power I have.

Like a dumbass, I left my best drag time slip in my wallet to show people and in about a week it went black, and with the heat, all the ones in the car went black as well. damn carbon paper, but on street tires with the basic bolt-ons It will run . a 9.579 @ 82.1.... Best 60' @ 2.4(not that run) that was with a carseat, full tannk of gas, subbox, etc.

With Mickey T's I could maybe squeeze another 3/10 of a second off that, getting my 60' in or under 2 sec. maybe

Bigger performance investment is in the future here.... The wife made a huge deal with me..... Quit smoking, and all that money will get dumped into a "toy" account..... I quit last week, Toys!
Old 01-04-2012, 06:47 PM

I need good traction with the power I have.

Like a dumbass, I left my best drag time slip in my wallet to show people and in about a week it went black, and with the heat, all the ones in the car went black as well. damn carbon paper, but on street tires with the basic bolt-ons It will run . a 9.579 @ 82.1.... Best 60' @ 2.4(not that run) that was with a carseat, full tannk of gas, subbox, etc.

With Mickey T's I could maybe squeeze another 3/10 of a second off that, getting my 60' in or under 2 sec. maybe

Bigger performance investment is in the future here.... The wife made a huge deal with me..... Quit smoking, and all that money will get dumped into a "toy" account..... I quit last week, Toys!
yeah with the mickeys a sub 2 sec 60 is very doable with a good launch...you're an auto tho right???? there are cobalt guys who have pulled 2.0's or so on street tires and i have no idea how tho. good tires for the track are and learning how to launch YOUR car are probably the easiest way to cut times.

try footballs in the rear springs and chain the front springs to help eliminate squat and keep the front end planted.....i have heard the football mod works wonders

i have yet to hit the track. i have two 1/4 tracks both about 90 minutes away. one is super sticky and is know to break weak driveline parts....the other gets little to no prep so its spin city there. atlanta motor speedway does 1/8 mile but there is no tree....its a hand drop signal....and no timer so you have no clue how fast you ran. there is an 1/8 track about maybe 2 hours away that is pretty decent......but mainly my track options aren't that great and are kind of a drive. also im afraid to hit the track with my stock tranny with 101K and rising transmission
Old 01-05-2012, 01:22 PM

Should have said this.... 1/8 mile track, I was thinking Pedders, and making some solid bars to bolt between the A-Arms, and frame for track time, instead of chains.

I could also just use some very large turnbuckles with a couple of bushings, and bolts, to give the adjustability that I might need.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:34 PM

Should have said this.... 1/8 mile track, I was thinking Pedders, and making some solid bars to bolt between the A-Arms, and frame for track time, instead of chains.

I could also just use some very large turnbuckles with a couple of bushings, and bolts, to give the adjustability that I might need.
that's enginuitive.....i will probably do chains and footballs just to make it an easy on/off thing and cause im too lazy to create something like you are talking about pedders are nice...im doing coilovers at some point so im holding off there.

jonboyb was telling me the other day that the sway bar has a lot to do with controlling squat on this car. i don't know how true this is but he is a very knowledgeable drag racer so i will take his word for it. whenever i do the powell xxx bar maybe that will help out a bit.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

I think you guys may have scared the original poster. He posted one night, logged on the next morning to probably see about responses, and he hasn't returned.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I think you guys may have scared the original poster. He posted one night, logged on the next morning to probably see about responses, and he hasn't returned.
I think he modding his SS.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:28 PM

rob.....how's everything working out with james? he text me today and said he is tuning you