SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

GMS1 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by KissMy08SS
I've thought about doing this as well. Where did you order the harness from? part number?? You think it'll be that big of a deal to change out the harness??

I guess it will help, can't hurt.

Anyway, I ordered the harness and the special connectors from Tom at crate enginge depot. They're great. Last week he said the connectors were available but the harness was on back order, he said he do his best and today I got shipping confirmation.

I was told total time to install should be 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Now to find someone to install it in the LA area.

For what it's worth, I know that Reliable Chevrolet in Richardson, Tx, has an excellent service department. They are too far from my HHR, though they have done excellent work on another one of our cars in Texas. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat and if I don't have luck in LA I'll have the car shipped to Texas and let them work on it.

Also Vince at Trifecta is excellent gets back quickly. Even if you don't use his upgrade you can buy his software upgrade and data log your car. I'm having him do that now.

Also v2, TTR's engine mount cut some of the cut out with the sensor hitting the AC compressor and made the car more stable. Great service and delivered fast.

Wish you the best.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by russruth
I guess it will help, can't hurt.

Anyway, I ordered the harness and the special connectors from Tom at crate enginge depot. They're great. Last week he said the connectors were available but the harness was on back order, he said he do his best and today I got shipping confirmation.

I was told total time to install should be 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Now to find someone to install it in the LA area.

For what it's worth, I know that Reliable Chevrolet in Richardson, Tx, has an excellent service department. They are too far from my HHR, though they have done excellent work on another one of our cars in Texas. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat and if I don't have luck in LA I'll have the car shipped to Texas and let them work on it.

Also Vince at Trifecta is excellent gets back quickly. Even if you don't use his upgrade you can buy his software upgrade and data log your car. I'm having him do that now.

Also v2, TTR's engine mount cut some of the cut out with the sensor hitting the AC compressor and made the car more stable. Great service and delivered fast.

Wish you the best.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll get with Tom as well to see about getting my a new harness as well. And as for Vince...I've been working with him for about 4 months now....and we still can't figure out what my problem is. He thinks it's a mechanical issue...all of the datalog readings are really good he says. Let us know how everything goes on your end!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 PM

[QUOTE=bignose94015;611009]So I love the added power of my GMS1. I had a couple of issues though.

1. Ordered the GMS1 from crate engine depot with the quick connects. Chevy dealership I took it to said the quick connects were wrong so they had to cut the heads off one side. My guesse is that they cut the connector first from the factory harenss and then realized they messed up since I had quick connects. Not the end of the world but oo well.

2. So first and second gear I get about 20-22 psi which tapers to about 17-19 at high rpms. I get this result in first and second gear. In thuird and fourth I get about 16 that bleeds down to about 12-13 at about 5k. Is this normal for an automatic?

Thank you,

Eric[/QUOTE

Can I buy that upgrade at a Chevy dealer? And how much did they charge for the install
Old 01-23-2012, 08:04 PM

[QUOTE=foxtrotraptor;613007]
Originally Posted by bignose94015
So I love the added power of my GMS1. I had a couple of issues though.

1. Ordered the GMS1 from crate engine depot with the quick connects. Chevy dealership I took it to said the quick connects were wrong so they had to cut the heads off one side. My guesse is that they cut the connector first from the factory harenss and then realized they messed up since I had quick connects. Not the end of the world but oo well.

2. So first and second gear I get about 20-22 psi which tapers to about 17-19 at high rpms. I get this result in first and second gear. In thuird and fourth I get about 16 that bleeds down to about 12-13 at about 5k. Is this normal for an automatic?

Thank you,

Eric[/QUOTE

Can I buy that upgrade at a Chevy dealer? And how much did they charge for the install

Get the kit from crate engine depot. Stewart Chevy charged two hours for the install. About 240 bucks.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:18 PM

[QUOTE=bignose94015;613011]
Originally Posted by foxtrotraptor

Get the kit from crate engine depot. Stewart Chevy charged two hours for the install. About 240 bucks.
Sweet found it! Thanks
Old 01-23-2012, 09:31 PM

[QUOTE=foxtrotraptor;613007]
Originally Posted by bignose94015
So I love ........snip............

When mine run's reliably, I get exactly the same.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by KissMy08SS
Thanks for the heads up. I'll get with Tom as well to see about getting my a new harness as well. And as for Vince...I've been working with him for about 4 months now....and we still can't figure out what my problem is. He thinks it's a mechanical issue...all of the datalog readings are really good he says. Let us know how everything goes on your end!
Might be wrong here but: IF you are already spliced,then getting the new plug-in harness wont help get rid of the spliced section. The new harness is just an extension(with correct ends for the new Tmaps) about 5 inches long. The new harness would still have to be plugged into the old spliced end.
Plus your old spliced end already has the new plug end. The new harness will have one old style plug on one end and new style on the other.
In other words if you had the old "splice" install then the new harness will have one "wrong" end.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:50 PM

[QUOTE=russruth;613035]
Originally Posted by foxtrotraptor

When mine run's reliably, I get exactly the same.
Just seems odd. There is no way you are making the advertised HP if you are not getting full boost in 3rd or 4th. If the kit said you get 290 HP in first and second and roughly 30% less in 3rd and fourth (only real usable gears do to traction) I would have never got the kit. 3rd and fourth gear only make about 200 FWHP in this circumstance which is less then stock...
Old 01-23-2012, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Might be wrong here but: IF you are already spliced,then getting the new plug-in harness wont help get rid of the spliced section. The new harness is just an extension(with correct ends for the new Tmaps) about 5 inches long. The new harness would still have to be plugged into the old spliced end.
Plus your old spliced end already has the new plug end. The new harness will have one old style plug on one end and new style on the other.
In other words if you had the old "splice" install then the new harness will have one "wrong" end.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm buyng the complete harness, to replace the one that was spliced, then use the new connectors.

In regards to a drop in boost, I'm guessing but I think the reason third and fourth drop off to 17 lbs and below is to protect the transmission.

I don' think the 5 speed cobalts drop off in the 3rd and 4th gears.

Last edited by russruth; 01-24-2012 at 12:38 AM.