SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Lemon Law...help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:38 AM

Question Lemon Law...help!!

Ok...so here's the deal: bought my 2010 SS "used" with 1500 miles in Dec 2010...since I have had it, a pinch over a year, I have had warranty work for a cracked intake pipe, two broken TPMS, a bad battery (which I had to tow my car to the dealer for, and it apparantly leaked acid), codes that read that ALL of my pistons were mis-firing, "funny noises" coming from the turbo at spool up, annnnnd currently, she is undriveable due to a busted head gasket that came from God-knows-where. I now have 21000 miles. I am absolutely about to pull my hair out. I adore my car, and have worked my rear-end off to have her...
I spoke very briefly to an attorney who deals with vehicular cases such as lemon law, she thinks I definitely have a case.

My question is, has anyone on here dealt with anything similar?? How is this going to work? I don't want to just rely on some random attorney to take care of my precious car, and my dad, God love him, although a very good mechanic, thinks turbos are a waste of time anyway...so I feel like I'm pretty much up a creek at this point...any advice?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:40 AM
Founding Member

That sucks that you have had so many problems. I have no idea about Ohio laws, but here is a link.

http://www.ohiolemonlaw.com/
Old 01-24-2012, 12:04 PM
Banned

I have had several issues with mine granted not an SS.. But multiple failures, on the same repeated item.. It's tough to make a case for Lemon Law with a used vehicle from what I have been told.. But if your attorney thinks you have a case for it, take her advice..

Also Jess, I would read through this.. He'd had many similar issues.. so this is what you may well be up against.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/tale-end-my-hhr-36974/<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Old 01-24-2012, 12:11 PM

I live in Washington state and I pursued a "Lemon Law" case to the finish over a Chevy Astro Van quite a few years back.
I got it done without any Legal assistance but this was not a used vehicle to start with.
Bottom line is that I lost mucho $ in the process and ended up buying another new Chevrolet to get it done.
The Dealer you bought it from can be of a lot of assistance if they desire to help.
It's a Big Hassle to say the least.

Good Luck on your decision.

SF
Old 01-24-2012, 02:37 PM

I had this issue with my Cobalt SS... terrible feeling. Not much I can help with, but trust me, I know how you feel! I ended up having to get rid of it and finally getting a new car. I'm happy with my HHR SS and haven't had any issues besides and tire sensors messing up. Good Luck
Old 01-24-2012, 09:50 PM

SS.lady-

Sorry to hear you've had so many problems. There always seems to be one bad apple out of the bunch, and unfortunately, someone's always gonna end up with it. Could be a Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Honda, BMW, or Jaguar, it seems to happen across the board. Good luck with things whatever you decide.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by SS.lady
Ok...so here's the deal: bought my 2010 SS "used" with 1500 miles in Dec 2010...since I have had it, a pinch over a year, I have had warranty work for a cracked intake pipe, two broken TPMS, a bad battery (which I had to tow my car to the dealer for, and it apparantly leaked acid), codes that read that ALL of my pistons were mis-firing, "funny noises" coming from the turbo at spool up, annnnnd currently, she is undriveable due to a busted head gasket that came from God-knows-where. I now have 21000 miles. I am absolutely about to pull my hair out. I adore my car, and have worked my rear-end off to have her...
I spoke very briefly to an attorney who deals with vehicular cases such as lemon law, she thinks I definitely have a case.

My question is, has anyone on here dealt with anything similar?? How is this going to work? I don't want to just rely on some random attorney to take care of my precious car, and my dad, God love him, although a very good mechanic, thinks turbos are a waste of time anyway...so I feel like I'm pretty much up a creek at this point...any advice?
In any negotiation, (and at this stage this is a negotiation) you need to be clear on what your desired outcome will be. New car, repaired car, rental car, refund?

Did you buy the car from a GM dealer? Was it certified? Is it a good dealer?

Those three questions will go a long way to getting a resolve.

You should be careful to document every issue, dates, time, people you talked to, their response.

As you go further up the line you will have to do the same thing and it will take pages of this to have an impact.

Most of all, working with the manufacturer and dealer, make sure your always polite, firm and and if the person you are dealing with can offer no resolve, ask to speak to a supervisor, their name, title etc.

Once again never get mad as they will write you off. You will probably get resistance but once again document every word, every comment professionally, put it in a detailed, dated list and forward it to everyone possible. Make it clear to everyone you speak with that you will forward this information up the line as you go forward and don't do it with a threat, do it with the intention to inform and that everyone you speak to can be up to speed with your issue.

Also keep a running spread sheet of work time lost, dangerous conditions on the road (if any), all expenses incurred.

Now not knowing your circumstances and not placing judgement, you did buy the car used and drove it for nearly a year. The battery, though a problem is not a big issue, the other issues like the tmps are annoying, but the biggest issue seems to be your engine.

If you want to keep the car, I'd press hard for a new or rebuilt engine, then you know what you have and probably will have a good car if the motor is brought up to spec.

If you don't want to keep the car, then be prepared to take a loss. After all you've driven the car for a year and most chevrolet cars (cars not trucks) don't hold their resale value well.

By all accounts the HHR SS is a good car, but can be problematic as it came into live at the wrong time for GM to really think things out and apply proper resource to make sure it was as stable as it was utilitarian.

In many ways, I love my HHR, it drives well, but I have a slight distrust in it's reliability. Mine just never gives me the feeling that it will last a long time without constant maintance and replacement of small things like suspension bushings, brakes, some interior parts, fuel pumps and especially the gm turbo upgrade.

On the other hand, I also bought mine used, (though certified and warrantied from GM and the dealer) and at the price I paid it was a good deal.

IMO
Old 01-25-2012, 09:01 AM

Thank you all for the input! It is helpful to have all the other ideas and suggestions. :) I still haven't quite figured out if it is something that I even want to deal with...at this point, I think I am just going to wait until I can get my car back, and see exactly how they have dealt with the head gasket. At the very least, if they did not replace the engine then I will be pushing for that.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:19 AM
Deceased

As an attorney I can say that russruth covered all the salient points in his post, his advice is excellent and well thought out, take it to heart and keep us posted on how you make out.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:48 AM

Definitely, thank you!

Quick Reply: Lemon Law...help!!