SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

For the guys who have changed their oil in the SS....

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by pitbull76
Is it possible to jack the car up with a floor jack and then place jack stands at the approved front locations? If so, where can you safely set up the floor jack?
That was one of my ideas also - the only secure looking spot that I was willing to risk my floor jack on, was the sub-frame.

Unfortunately, though, due to the size of my jack, there was no way to get my
jackstands under the subframe while the jack was there.

I've decided to bite the bullet this time, and go to a oil change place - hopefully I'll be able to do it myself next time.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:34 AM

Just have a few old boards around to put in front of the ramps. That will get the lip up to clear the main ramps.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:53 PM
XXL

Reinforced plastic ones from Kragen worked fine for mine. Just kicked them into the front tires, jumped in the car, and pulled up. No scrape, plenty of room to work.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:04 PM

If you are not skinny enough or your arms are not long enough to reach it, I would think just driving up on a couple of 2x6s would would give even tubby folks enough clearance to reach it. I don't really see the reason to get it up on ramps or stands just for an oil change? Personally, I just reach in behind the passenger side tire, leverage might be an issue, but you don't want to overtighten anyway.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
What do you guys do with the old oil?
I dump it in the well at the orphanage down the street.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:03 AM
XXL

Originally Posted by mistermike
I dump it in the well at the orphanage down the street.
Be careful, they almost caught me last week.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

Just a quick note regarding the AC/Delco Filters......

About a month ago I was in a newly opened Auto Zone, near my house. As always, the Salepeople approached and asked if they can help with anything. I mumbled a disappointment they weren't carrying the CORRECT AC filter for the HHR (although they carried other AC oil filters)and after the clerk attempted the sale of another brand....he apologized for not having what I wanted.

Yesterday, I returned to that store and they had 3 of the Delco filters for the HHR and 2 for my other vehicle. I purchased ALL they had. All the filters were $3.85/ea (cheaper than my Employee Discount from the dealer)and were stamped Made in USA

The point....maybe IF YOU WANT OEM FILTERS and the store doesn't stock them.....ASK!!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:02 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by c2vette
tubby folks
Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by Snoopy
About a month ago I was in a newly opened Auto Zone, near my house.

The point....maybe IF YOU WANT OEM FILTERS and the store doesn't stock them.....ASK!!
At one point, AC OEM and AC retail were different oil filter products. That certainly could have changed. A popular site regarding filters indicates that the current product is made by Champion Labs, but it is not clear as to whether this covers both OEM and retail products today (from link above, scroll up to "Brands" for a brief reference to the different AC product lines).
Old 01-28-2009, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by XXL
At one point, AC OEM and AC retail were different oil filter products. That certainly could have changed. A popular site regarding filters indicates that the current product is made by Champion Labs, but it is not clear as to whether this covers both OEM and retail products today (from link above, scroll up to "Brands" for a brief reference to the different AC product lines).

They're the same.....and by the way, by GM Corporate mandate, if parts are made for different markets.....GM dealerships and Sears, for example, they MUST carry a different identifying number (PF48 vs. PF48c, for example). GM made statements to this, in an internal publication, several years ago.

The cost difference with the dealer is really attributed to the marketing program that GM and Delco have in place. If the dealer is NOT a Warehouse Distributor (WD) they pay more than a dealer who IS a WD. Auto Zone and most of the large national chain parts stores are Delco WD's because of their volumn and billings (then, of course, GM/Delco provide volumn incentives for extra discounts). Also, Delco parts and GM parts are 2 separate marketing plans. You can have a WD in one and not the other.

Quick Reply: For the guys who have changed their oil in the SS....