SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

"Limp Mode" issues P101 and P106 codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 05:03 PM

After driving home and idling in neutral i just noticed fuel pressure was jumping from 210 to 400 psi at idle.seemed low for this motor?
Car stumbled at one point (can't say if fuel pressure dropped first or AFR richened first) noticed fuel press dropped to 210 then* oddly AFR measured went to 12.5 for a. Second
Is this normal fuel pressure at idle.
Revved to 2000 rpm and stayed st I believe 600psi

Just found this so it looks like my idle pressure is not out of range
http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10...eading-210899/.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by bigjacksauto
Well
I figured I better create a new title for the issues I have had with My HHR SS in the past month or so.
I started another thread a while back
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-0l-performance-tech-46/hhr-ss-shutting-off-running-rough-about-first-few-minutes-each-morning-s-46920/
and everyone has been great about adding info

But this title better suits what I am now experiencing and also from the research I have done it sounds like alot of
HHR SS
Cobalt SS
Solstice GXP
and
Saturn Sky
owners have either experienced or are still experiencing from time to time.
Usually ends of being a boost leak and or wiring from what I am told but a lot of times
it seems there is never a true reason found.I am not sure but this does not seem to be the case with trifecta tuned or hp tuned vehicles but I could be wrong.

You are Driving along for months if not years and then all of a sudden you car goes into the dreaded LIMP MODE which consists of loss of power car sometimes starts running rough to the point you have to pull over and turn the car off and back on.

In my case yes the wiring had been hit on the lower sensor
so new wiring
tons of room
new MAF sensor
New Tmap Sensors
New Spark Plugs
New Upper charge pipe that was leaking
New O2 Sensor Upstream
Car will normally run a couple or few days and out of no where
it goes into Limp Mode

Hopefully this will help future owners to find a 100 percent resolution it seems that a good majority of Solstice owners have this issue as well even with the stock sensors.
I'm terribly sorry that your having such an issue with your Chevrolet HHR. I would like to get involved and offer my assistance. To further assist you could you please private message me your name, address, vehicle identification number, and current mileage? Also what is the name of the dealership that you have been working with?

Thank you,

Jessica L.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-17-2013, 04:28 AM

I found this thread after doing endless hours of searching for other possibilities

This thread below is basically describing what I have been expereiencing
simply cruising along and then the car starts bucking and then will not boost or will not boost past a certain point
In post #10 they are describing the wast gate actuator as a possible issue and I also find post # 18 interesting where the poster wrote

"I have gone through a very similar situation with my car, same issues and all, turns out they replaced my PVC valve and it all cleared up. Problem was it was stuck open and when the tank pressurised it caused the car to see odd readings. they could never duplicate it, but one time they did after going in and out the dealership for 4 months"

Click below for more info

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/08-10...-my-ss-219309/

Old 08-17-2013, 05:09 AM

Here is the thread that preceeded the post above
that was an interesting read

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-...03/index6.html
Old 08-19-2013, 11:09 AM

Are you talking about the valve on top of the intake manifold? The one that has vac lines running to the BPV and lower charge pipe?
Old 08-19-2013, 12:00 PM

Yes that valve and also the vacuum tank the lines run to which is hidden behind the throttle body
Old 08-19-2013, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by bigjacksauto
I found this thread after doing endless hours of searching for other possibilities

This thread below is basically describing what I have been expereiencing
simply cruising along and then the car starts bucking and then will not boost or will not boost past a certain point.

...I also find post # 18 interesting where the poster wrote

"I have gone through a very similar situation with my car, same issues and all, turns out they replaced my PVC valve and it all cleared up. Problem was it was stuck open and when the tank pressurised it caused the car to see odd readings. they could never duplicate it, but one time they did after going in and out the dealership for 4 months."

Finally had a chance to read the Colbalt posting. Good find, Big Jack. Thanks. I may replace my PCV valve just as another preventive maintenance action. Maybe I can start trusting the car again.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:12 PM

Unfortunately you have to pull the intake manifold to change the valve.
Hope to find out tommorow what is causing the extra oil in my intake manifold.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:16 PM

I know what you mean about trusting your car I can't wit to put thus behind me.I cannot even count how many hours I have put into this so far.
Lookup how many issues the pontoliac solstices have with this type of issue its amazing.
Definitely seems to be the oil causing my problem now after boost leaks where taken care of.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:47 AM

My car is in the shop today again to determine how to stop the limp mode which occurs
When car is at highway speeds and goes Into boost about 1 psi.
I have found that there is a good amount of oil coating the upper tmap sensor.
If upper sensor is cleaned every two days problem does not seem to reoccur.
Hoping answer bad pcv valve etc.

Quick Reply: "Limp Mode" issues P101 and P106 codes