SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Oh no...Turbo & Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 12:05 PM

Oh no...Turbo & Ticking

Ok, I have had my HHR SS for about a month now, everything was going well, but it has picked up this "ticking".

It still boosts about 15 - 17 psi, everything is good till it gets to about 4000 RPM, then it starts making a ticking sound. Its only when under boost, when just revving, no ticking. It doesn't really sound like an exhaust leak, but I never had encountered an exhaust leak on a turbo car before. Under 4000 RPM everything is fine. At times the ticking seems to go away, I haven't been pushing it very hard as I'm not sure what the cause may be. I don't really notice any power loss, but again not pushing it.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Last edited by My08HHRSS; 03-29-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:33 PM

you may know or not that the turbo has an exhaust manifold that bolts up directly to the turbo then your first cat and then a couple of feet of exhaust pipe than the next cat exhaust pipe to the muffler. They do get very hot and can crack giving you an exhaust leak.. not a real cheap fix. because of its hard to reach location. Don't know how they can really check it?, without taking it apart and looking at it. That could be a little pricey I would think?
If you find out that's what it is it should covered undr your 5/100 drivetrain warranty.
looks like that has come in gone I didn't see you had an 08... If you find that you need a new turbo exhaust don't buy it from GM it's about $300 just for that part.
Believe it or not I have a brand new oem turbo exhaust from Gm you can have for $75.00 plus shipping if you should need one

Tim
Old 03-29-2015, 09:52 PM

Black Tara, I don't believe its the exhaust as today it didn't do it at all that I noticed. So unless the flex part of the piping is bad or something that might twist a certain way that would cause the leak to show up randomly. The only thing I did this morning before driving, I reached around the turbo and checked for anything loose that might be rattling or causing the type of noise I heard. Maybe I moved something and made more room. I will run it a few times a bit harder tomorrow and see if it comes back.

As far at the downpipe, I have in the plans to get a Hahns full system along with the IC piping. So if that's the case, that should fix it. Also, Im bringing the car in for the airbag recall, if its still going on I will have them check.