SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

One second grind on cold start.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:54 PM

I have auto SS with brake pump installed.45K miles, Hard driving. Amsoil 0W30 and new nano fiber filter. Don't think it is pump or piston slap.??
I feel it is possible cam chain tensioner.? If it is hydraulic and the oil isn't in it yet the "cam chain" rattles and makes noise until pressurized.?? My does it on cold starts, but not super cold. Above 30 in morning been doing it every time lately.? Sport bikes have been known for it for years.. Hopefully I find out what it is before 100K miles? Warranty??. we'll see.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Laco
It may be the AC compressor on startup. I have a Ford Expedition that does that if it has been sitting for any period of time. Doesn't seem to hurt anything, only does it once when first starting in the morning, and has been doing it for years. My HHR does not do that, but????? Does yours make that noise if the ac and defrosters etc are off. My Expedition does not if all the climate control is off, and will as soon as I turn it on. I also think its related to the freon level, only makes that sound when the freon is full. I say that as once when that system had a freon leak and the level was low, the noise dissapeared, and re-appeared after the leak was fixed and the freon level was restored.
I was thinking that to, but this morning I had the air off on start up to see if it would repeat from yesterday, and it did it again. So it's not that. Got to be vacuum pump related. I'm not done yet.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Deceased

E-mailed you a couple of PDF's on the SS braking system, maybe you can glean some helpful diagnostic info out of them, I'm also thinking its the vacuum pump.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:59 PM

Thanks Mike, no wonder my folks love traveling to the South for vacation, it's all that good hospitality.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Deceased

Y'all come on down sometime, I'll give you the nickel tour of the race shops, Charlotte Motor Speedway...which is fun in an HHR by the way...and we can jaw a while and do some 'ol fashioned "Bench Racing".
Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM

lol. Sounds good Mike.

Well, I got a hold of my dealership today and turns out my car never had the vacuum pump installed. Very pricey to install one, as I'm no longer under the 3 year 60 kilometre warrenty. I'm wondering if it could be the catalytic converter and o2 sensor. Any thoughts, has anybody had a issue with this? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Deceased

Do you have access to a lift, and does your SS have remote start?

The reason I'm asking is if you could get it on a lift, hood closed, doors locked, etc. Then start it remotely while you and your tech are underneath it, you could probably pinpoint the cause of the noise very quickly.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:39 PM

No I don't have access, without a cost that is. I do have remote start and that is a good idea Mike. The dealership says they can run the coder on it for 125. (bend over) Heck, I could buy one for that price. He says a code may not come up if I don't have a check engine light on.

I was talking to my neighbor after work (owns two Monte Carlo SS) and he figures due to the up and down weather we've been having that it could be just condensation. It's very cool overnight and warmer during the day. I did read a forum on the Cobalt SS website and a guy was having the same issue and figures it's just the weather changes. I've never been this confused over a car issue before.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:49 PM

IDK.? I am still saying it is cam chain tensioner. I have heard a very similar noise on sport bikes with I4 engines with cam chain tensioner issues. The new Yamaha R1 engine has the same issue at start up the tensioner does not have oil to it yet and makes a noise Very similar.and for about the same amount of time. Less than 2 full seconds. ?? The brake pumps are not that loud and I believe its more of a pulse noise. Mine was added in warranty, Noise started way after pump installed.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Deceased

Got your e-mail and clip of the engine "doing its thing" and as I said in my note, I'm thinking its momentary fuel starvation, something like a failing fuel pump or pressure regulator is causing it to "lean out" for a couple of seconds before it recovers.

I've got your clip on my Driod phone and I'll be swinging by my dealer this afternoon to have their tech give it a listen and see if they agree with my theory or have some of their own.

Quick Reply: One second grind on cold start.